968 Forum 1992-1995

New to forum and Power Amp Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 08:15 PM
AllenM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to forum and Power Amp Question

First off, I think this is my first post. I've been reading this forum for a few months and found my car here. I recently purchased a 92 coupe, black/black, 6-speed, LSD w/ around 50k miles from rennlist member VentoGT.

Anyways, I was messing around w/ the factory stereo when I unplugged it, not knowing any better. I then realized that you need a code to re-activate the radio and there was no sign of the code in the glove box and the previous owner didn't have it either. So I ordered a new head unit.
I'm in the middle of installing the new radio and was wondering what the Power Amp wire goes to and where this 'Power Amp' is located. it looks like the wires go down under the carpet by the pedals and then return and hook up to the speaker wires behind the radio. I don't need to worry about this when installing the new radio right? just hook up to the speaker wires and leave the amp unplugged?

On a separate note, what are some good replacement speakers. This is my first nice car so I figured I should have a nice stereo setup...not too nice though.

Thanks,
-A
Old 04-05-2006, 02:47 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 795 Likes on 419 Posts

Is the "power amp" wire from the radio, or from the car?

If from the radio, don't hook it up.

If from the car, I don't remember our cars having a 'power amp' wire. We do have a black wire that looks like it's part of the antenna cable. That wire is for the antenna amp and that needs to be connected to a switched +12v source.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:09 PM
AllenM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are some pics to clarify (hopefully). The 'power amp' plug I'm talking about is that black wire coming off the top left of the factory reciever. that little tag on the wire says "power amp".

Then, on the wiring harness coming off the factory reciever, these 4 speaker wires weren't connected to anything. On the car side of the wiring harness, there were plugs coming from elsewhere (possibly this misterious power amp) which connected to the speaker wires.

Ok, I don't know how to attach photos, any help there?

-A
Old 04-05-2006, 05:05 PM
LeonardZ
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The amp located under the passenger seat is connected via a DIN cable, Alpine from the CR-1. That amp powers all of the speakers if you have the high fi option...490? If you want to tap into it, there is a plug from the amp back to the speakers in the passenger footwell along side the tranny tunnel toward the radio. The rear speakers break off from the amp under the passenger seat and go back to the passenger side rear cross over / speaker / tweeter combo.

Leonard
Old 04-06-2006, 12:15 AM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

That amp powers all of the speakers if you have the high fi option...490?
Oh I wish it were that simple. My 490 option car has dual amplifiers - one under each seat. There are a variety of speaker/amp setups in these cars and they seem to vary based on what parts were lying around the factory as each car was built. My amps have 928 part numbers and others I have seen have 944 numbers.

Sorry I don't have a direct answer to your question. Unfortunately, your local dealer could have given you the code.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:11 PM
LeonardZ
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Very interesting, I have never heard or seen of another factory located under the drivers seat??

Leonard
Old 04-06-2006, 02:24 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Identical 928 part numbers under each seat. The driver's side amp powers the door and front speakers while the passenger side the rear.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:34 PM
LeonardZ
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I looked when I put the CR1 back in my 95 coupe with the 10 speaker option, to see if there was another amp under the drivers seat. Nothing. I called Stepahan at SW Stereo and he said Porsche never put a second amp from the factory under the drivers seat. I assumed he was right and wired all my speakers to the one amp under the passenger seat.

Interesting, .....your car is a 94, CR 1 with Alpine amps?

Leonard
Old 04-11-2006, 08:57 PM
phil0618
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi,

I have the 10 speaker stereo and I believe there are actually 3 amps. The one under the passenger seat and one each attached to the back of the speakers in the rear.

I have a picture of what the rear looks like if you are interested.

One of the previous owners replaced the factory radio with an after market becker unit with preamp out jacks that feed the three different amps.

good luck,

Phil

Last edited by phil0618; 04-11-2006 at 09:32 PM.

Quick Reply: New to forum and Power Amp Question