968 Performance Chips - 7100A, 7700AT

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 08:12 PM
promax_motorsport
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 968 Performance Chips - 7100A, 7700AT

Hi All,

For those that are running the standard Bosch DME software, have you considered a ProMAX Performance Chip for your 968? We have two versions: 7100A and 7700AT. These are both for USA models (ROW have the 7100R and 7700RT versions) and support 7100 and 7700 RPM limits respectively. Typical gains are 15 - 22bhp. See attached chart of dyno pull taken earlier last year.

The dyno plot shows rear wheel bhp and rear wheel torque in Nm. 210 rwhp = 247bhp. This particular 968 (150,000km) ran 193 rwhp as standard (225bhp).

Not only will you see more power, you will also get a greater torque spread, better throttle response and smoother more tractable performance. 14 day money back guarantee also applies! :-) Only $145.00!

Further info here: http://www.promax.uku.co.uk/promaxchip_usa.htm

Regards,
Andrew
ProMAX Motorsport
Attached Images  
Old 02-07-2006, 08:14 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

Anyone have any experience with these ?
Old 02-07-2006, 09:52 PM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should get lots of good feedback once people see the post. Many of the people on the board run this chip.

Last edited by White968; 02-07-2006 at 10:36 PM.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:03 PM
flash968
Banned

if only the chip truly could produce 15-22 instead of the 12-13 that every one of my dyno tests showed
Old 02-07-2006, 10:38 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Andrew, great chip. Delivers as promised and the customer service is excellent.
Raj
Old 02-07-2006, 10:45 PM
flash968
Banned

delivers as promised? you got 15-22??? i'd love to see that - please show us

it came in second in the controlled environment multiple shootout tests i did, where the most it got at any point over stock was 12-13 - and there is a new chip about to come out that looks like it will do even better than the one that beat the promax
Old 02-08-2006, 12:32 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

So tell me Flash how many cars did you dyno with and without the promax chip? I would guess that there would be variation from car to car and from day to day and from dyno to dyno (as you have pointed out sooooo many times). Thus my point is, prove to me that your number of 12 - 13 is accurate. It seems to me that a car on a given day, on some dyno, might actually produce the numbers that Andrew states. It is possible to come up with a good estimate (mean), but what is the standard deviation of that mean. Could the range possibly include 15, 22, 2, 6, 12, all of the above? Once you have established the mean and standard deviation, it would then be possible for you to compute appropriate sample sizes using a standard power analysis to determine how many cars, or dynos, or different conditions, that you would need to test to prove that one chip is actually better than another. It has been a while since I read the chip shootout (which was actually pretty good), but if my memory serves me, did you not choose the best chip somewhat subjectively? I did not see any statistics in the article suggesting that you failed to disprove your hypothesis.

My point is not to start a debate on the subject, instead, my point is that the test you conducted, although decent, is not the gold standard.

Disclosure statement - I do not have, nor have I ever purchased, a chip for any of my 968 engines.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:55 AM
flash968
Banned

4 different cars - over 100 runs in all

no real variance from car to car - all runs on all cars within one half hp of each other given the same chip - very consistent data

my "choice" was based purely on numbers - no subjectivity at all - i had my choice of what to run - the one that gave the most power was the one i put in the car - the only reason i was doing the test to begin with was to figure out which one did best - if another one comes out, and it puts out more power (as i suspect the one about to come out will), i'll run that one

the environment was extremely measured and controlled, with every possible variable eliminated or accounted for - i did a lot of prep for this, and took every step imaginable to maintain a scientifially accurate test - there were a lot of things to control, any one of which could easity skew numbers if not measured and monitored (differential temps, engine temps, strap tension, intake temp, ambient temp, humidty, barometric pressure, time between runs) - to date, nobody has taken that kind of care in process - instead all we get are very unscientifically taken runs that mean nothing

the results of my test really are the "gold standard" - it would be that way with anybody who took the same time and effort to test properly - there really is only one way to do it right

i have also not purchased any chips
Old 02-08-2006, 01:28 AM
insite94
Advanced

Gentlemen, please...this arguement has gone on for months on 2 other forums. Flash, please post the dyno charts for all to see, or post a link to the article. Otherwise you'll be taking slings and arrows for months to come...all with no real benefit to others on the forum. I know the work you put into the chip shootout. The pictures will say all that you can't.

Andrew - You have an EXCELLENT chip and were excellent in your prompt responses and customer service. Others will be very satisfied. It isn't just in Flash's numbers/charts. It's in the seat of the pants too.

Disclaimer: No affiliation with any of the parties here, just BTDT...don't need to do it again. Don't eat yellow snow, etc.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:33 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by flash968
4 different cars - over 100 runs in all

no real variance from car to car - all runs on all cars within one half hp of each other given the same chip - very consistent data

my "choice" was based purely on numbers - no subjectivity at all - i had my choice of what to run - the one that gave the most power was the one i put in the car - the only reason i was doing the test to begin with was to figure out which one did best - if another one comes out, and it puts out more power (as i suspect the one about to come out will), i'll run that one

the environment was extremely measured and controlled, with every possible variable eliminated or accounted for - i did a lot of prep for this, and took every step imaginable to maintain a scientifially accurate test - there were a lot of things to control, any one of which could easity skew numbers if not measured and monitored (differential temps, engine temps, strap tension, intake temp, ambient temp, humidty, barometric pressure, time between runs) - to date, nobody has taken that kind of care in process - instead all we get are very unscientifically taken runs that mean nothing

the results of my test really are the "gold standard" - it would be that way with anybody who took the same time and effort to test properly - there really is only one way to do it right

i have also not purchased any chips
Cool, if you send me the peak HP and torque numbers from all chips and runs, I'll be happy to run an unbiased statistical analysis. After all, you can't test properly without statistics.

PS - an excel file would be best. I'll need to know the car and chip for each set of HP and T numbers.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:00 AM
flash968
Banned

i really don't want to have another pointless argument either - i have proven beyond all reasonable doubt, which chip does what, with very carefully monitored testing, and plenty of witnesses, who, like me, had nothing to gain

i am not expressing opinions, or any subjective points of view - i am stating incontravertable facts, that to date are still unchalleneged with any data

to answer the question, the article is now available for free at www.9magazine.com in the DIY section under 968

the data files are not such that i can drop them into a spreadsheet - it was a very large pain in the butt to analyze the data in the first place, which is why the charts were not published - i'm not inclined to spend any more time on the data

you're just going to have to trust me on this one - i am the only one with nothing to gain, yet i am the one that is questioned over unbiased tests - very odd - you would think that after 25 years of prepping and tuning race cars, things would be a bit different

whatever

my entire point, is that there is yet no viable data shown to support 15-22hp - let's see a chart showing the same car on the same day on the same dyno, with the same temps and such (you know - standard scientific method) - i posted those charts - i've been asking for those for a year now for such charts from promax - still nothing - hmmmmm

i have no problem with what the chip does - it works pretty well - i have a problem with unsupported claims - so do most people - that's why we have pretty tight truth in advertising laws here - i do, however, prefer the one with more power, which is why i will probably switch to the one coming out soon -

think about this - if i came out with a chip, and claimed 15-22hp, you guys would sure be down my throat for charts proving it - what makes anybody else insulated from the same expectation?

i have to give them credit though - they are sure running one heck of an ad campaign - there is even a nice puff piece coming out in excellence about the chip - no comparison testing though - that had to cost a pretty penny

i do, however, still think they make the best 7100 rpm chip
Old 02-08-2006, 07:01 AM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flash968
i really don't want to have another pointless argument either
Then you should have controlled yourself and not posted.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:09 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm thrilled with my Promax chip, the customer service has been great, there hasn't been any nasty start up smoking like has been seen with the 'winning' chip, and with the other mods's I've done it seems to really work well.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:26 AM
blopper
Intermediate

This is starting to remind me of a bad rash I once had. It is a great chip and excellent customer service. Andrew was great to deal with and very prompt in getting back to me.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:54 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Guys, when you will get it. The chip was not on Nein Magazine's "preferred vendor" list, hence it lost out. Happens to all the vendors who are on that list. They get special promotions for whatever its worth (not much to me at all).
Raj

Quick Reply: 968 Performance Chips - 7100A, 7700AT