968 Forum 1992-1995

Cam gear and timing

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 03:59 PM
Jaap968
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam gear and timing

I am not sure whether I did something stupid. If you remove the ditributor rotor (three small bolts) and then turn the engine, does this screw up the cam timing or is everything still secured by the cam center bolt and are the three smaller ones (as mentioned in the cam timng procedure) only required to preserve timing when the center bolt is removed?

It is not so much the rotor arm, which can only be installed one way. I am more concerned that I changed the position of the cam gear (the wheel the timing belt runs on) relative to the camshaft. I think (hope) the center bolt keep everything in place but I am not sure.

Jaap
Old 01-28-2006, 10:52 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Jaap, no need to worry. The cam gear and cam are held by the big triple square bolt. The 3 rotor bolts removal will have no effect on your timing. It would be scary if the cam gear by held by those 3 bolts. We would all lose timing within seconds otherwise. BTW, don't drop or lose those aluminum washers/spacers.
As long as your timing between your crank and cam gear are correct, I wouldn't worry too much.
Raj
Old 01-29-2006, 09:12 AM
Jaap968
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks,

I was hoping it worked like that but was a bit concerned after reading (just informative) the cam timing procedure in the workshop manual. There it says to fasten the center bolt (although not to full torque) as well as three temporary bolts when turning the engine when perfoming steps in the cam timing procedure. Probably when the center bolt is at the correct torque it holds eveything in place and does not rely on the three smaller bolts just as you say.

Jaap

Quick Reply: Cam gear and timing