A-arm replacements???

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 02:51 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A-arm replacements???

I've got worn bushings... ball-joints are fine... car is a turbo S street car... I would prefer to have 968 M030 arms since they have the brake ducts, etc- thus the reason I'm X-posting here...

I do not want spherical bearings of any kind... I plan to replace ball-joints while arms are off, but again, bushings are my problem... was looking into rebiult units, but doesn't appear that they offer new bushings...? I've contacted many people by e-mail & am not getting anywhere... What is the best route here? At this point, it seems to be to buy brand new 968 M030 A-arms for ~$350/ea...

Any simple, reliable, cheap, effective solutions would be greatly appreciated... all of my archive searches only come up w/ball-joint info- I would love to have something stronger than the plastic cups, but do not want to have to go through a bunch of different places for ball-joints & bushings & then spend a bunch of money on labor to get them pieced together, etc... Finding someone to rebuild w/upgraded ball-joints & NEW BUSHINGS all around would be best... There have to be other's out there who need bushings since they have to wear as easily as balljoints... again, it's a street car, so noise & ride quality are both big issues...

thanks a lot,...
Robby
Old 01-18-2006, 12:12 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Robby, I would try Dynamic European in TX. I had them rebuild my control arms in the past and they do an excellent job. They might also offer the bushings replacement.
Good luck.
Raj
Old 01-18-2006, 04:06 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

If you aren't going to something like the Charlie Arms (which I have) I would go for the new Porsche 968 arms. If my car wasn't track only and lowered, that is what'd be on my car. Not sure if they come with the brake pieces attached. If not, the lower deflectors are only $29 a piece from the dealer.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:14 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

You can also get your 944 A-arms rebuilt and fit the OEM 968 ducts with brackets as sold from frozenrotors. They also come with the OEM 968 plastic ducts that fit on the struts in place of the metal unit of the 944.
I was too lazy to make brackets myself so I bought their kit.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:49 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks a lot everyone.... I'm going to look at the frozen rotors bracket now... But, after thinking it over, new 968 m030 units for $700/pr is a pretty good deal... I'm probably going to do that- I hate to spend that much, but... i don't know... MAYBE I'll go rebuilt... might have to flip a coin... Even Markus Blaszak suggested I go to the new ones at that price & I trust his rep on a-arms... anyway, thanks for the input.., I'm at least going to call Dynamic European first b/c it was mentioned in another thread I posted...

thanks...
Old 01-26-2006, 01:41 PM
Apex
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FWIW - after going round and round on the same questions with my car I finally just bought new OEM A-arms and was very happy with that decision.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:15 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Apex- where did you buy from & what was the cost, if you don't mind me asking...? So far, $700/pr seems the cheapest rate I've found & that's for the 968 ones... I'm still at coin-flipping stage... OF course, if I don't make up my mind soon, somebody else will have bought them & made my decision for me...
Old 01-27-2006, 11:04 PM
N_Halbert
Rennlist Member

If you go through Porsche you will find the 968 control arms are the current replacement for all 87 and up 944. The only way you get the older arms with out the mountings for the ducts is with rebuilt arms. While you are at it you should replace the castor blocks with 968 units. A much more robust unit.

Pargon has the bushings for about $30 and castor blocks for $70 if you want to go the do it your self route. Getting the old bushing out is not simple and usually ends up involving a torch.

I believe Suncoast Porsche sells the parts for 15% over cost to PCA members. I used them when I purchased the 968 duct parts. (See next to left front wheel in avitar)
Old 01-28-2006, 02:15 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Neil- Yes, Sunset is where I got my quote- planning to do something next week & most people have advised I buy new at that price... I already have 968 castor blocks- they're a few years old, but seem to be fine- can replace them again in a few more years... What, every 75k miles or so? I wasn't aware that the 968 M030 units were the only ones available though- I definately wouldn't chance that when ordering.. You never know what a dealer might still have on-hand... Of course, there are alternatives to mounting the brake ducts & I'm not even sure they're all that great to begin with...? I just happen to like simplicity, hence, mounting tabs, plus, the brake ducts were only ~$70 total (mine have been sitting here, unused, for several years)- pretty inexpensive compared to other types, plus, they're definately better than the little metal shields on the Turbo S, which really just deflected air towards the rotor... Still, I even thought that was kind of cool, that they made any effort at all, for a late '80's production car... Now if only I could decide on some pads...

Quick Reply: A-arm replacements???