Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Interior Color code TS (Linen or Pearl, or?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 08:40 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that;s why I reccomended World Upholstery. They stock actual Porsche, Ferrari, Jag, BMW and Merc colors. You can get a better match to check out. On their site they show swatches. Try to compare your interior to what you see there. They will send three samples on a card. I would then send that to your guys, and have them match it. Your guys are cheaper. I'm talking with them as well.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:15 PM
Todd951968
Burning Brakes

Ok, ehall, I'll check out thier website.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:24 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ehall- I noticed the same thing looking through PET files last night- I had looked for linen in 968s a few years ago, so I knew they didn't have that. But , Todd sent me some pics & it's definately not linen (even installed aftermarket or something)- it's got a greyish tint in it but at the same time, kind of a tan tint... nice looking, but odd that we can't find it... I really thought it was cashmere beige & one of the color codes for a certain part starts w/a "T" on that, so I thought wew might have it, but Todd said he had checked that & it was not so...

Todd- is it possible it is cashmere beige but has just become discolored over time to be slightly off or are you absolutely positive that it is ruled out...?
Old 01-19-2006, 09:26 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Not having seen it, it sounds like grey-beige, which could be damn near anything depending on the year.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:16 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ehall
Not having seen it, it sounds like grey-beige, which could be damn near anything depending on the year.
Yeah, but there isn't anything like that on PET files that I could find- it's a deivating color too, so that narrows it down. That's why I said I thought it was black / cashmere beige...

Plus, he didn't tell me before, but he has sport seats, so I can see why he wants to keep them- unfortunately, they're only 4-way elec adj, but that SHOULD be slightly lighter than the rest, although I don't see how that's possible, since I actually picked up some 12-way elec adj & heated sport seats in St Louis yrs ago & they felt like they weighed ~40lbs- there's no way they were over 45lbs, despite claims I've seen that they were 70lbs +- no F'in way...! Hmmmmm... I wonder if the extra motors could be added easily as well as heated mechanism? The heated might be tougher, althoiugh it's a simple wire deal from what I've been told, plus, would have to cut the side of the seat to add space for the 3rd control module to have the last 4-ways & heated control, BUT, could at least easily add the second motor to make them 8-way power... Of course, being more of a minimalist w/cars, I've always liked full manual, but after picking up the Sports I just mentioned, I've always considered them the Holy Grail for our cars- never seen one of our cars w/them though- only 928's w/the full-deal sport seats... Garrity was asking ~$3500 for the ones I saw- perfect condition tan... said they were from a GT or GTS... Nice, but WAY too pricey...

Todd- one thing you COULD possibly do- unless you're trying to go through thet whole interior- you COULD have the seats recovered in black- would be fine for your interior (w/deviating) AND exterior colors... I have a place here in Knoxville who said they'd recover my door panels for ~$100/ea in whatever vynil I liked- unfortuantely, they wont touch my dash! But, if you're trying to do the dash, I'm assuming you would want some lighter color in there instead of full-black w/full black seats, although that would not be bad either.. I've seen a TON of variables like that in these cars over the years... But, if going to standard recovering places that are non-Porsche, I would think you might find a closer match just by possibility of seeing more overall choices... I had the local place recover my rear hatch cover- I have the hanging style which goes for ~$175- it's just two f**ing steel rods w/a piece of material stitched across each end- I kept the rods & they put white vynil on them for $50- looked perfect- I wanted to convert to linen then- found I couldn't get 968 panels in linen & it looked sort of sill w/the rest of interior in black, plus, it was sort of glaring, so I dyed it black, rather than pay them $50 to recover it again- wish I'd paid $50 to have them recover it again... cost me ~$25 to do the dye, was a PITFA, & still doesn't looke nearly as good... nevre again...
Old 01-20-2006, 03:56 PM
Todd951968
Burning Brakes

Robby and ehall, thanks for continuing to try to help me figure this out. Robby, I'm glad you can see the tint; both grey and tan. I don't think the interior is faded much, to the where the color has changed. The front seat surfaces have, however. The door panels and rear seat photos show the true color.

The color code for cashmere beige (forget offhand) doesn't match mine so I ruled that out.

The thought of changing colors crossed my mind but I really like this exterior/interior combo-never seen it before. I could use new kickpanel carpeting (if I ever find out the color), as the black cloth fringe is coming apart. Other than that, the interior is pretty clean.

ehall, I checked worldupholstery and had actually looked at that site previously, but forgot. They have the common colors but nothing close enought.

Sport Seats are great. I have a black/black 951 that has them, too. (I lucked out both times). They really make a difference at the track. I'd prefer full manual adjustment with heat, maybe. I'm the only one who drives them and I almost never adjust the seating position so the thrill of electric adjustments are nice but not necessary.

Are your seats black, Robby? That is a great color combo. I'd like to have a zermatt silver and black car. You don't see many, anymore.
Old 01-21-2006, 04:39 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, my seats are the black 80way elec adj ones w/cloth middles & porsche script... I really like the cloth a lot better now than vinyl & leather, after having ridden in it for a few years... I just don't like the absolutely NO LUMBAR support of these seats- one of the reasons the 12-way elec adj seats are nice- otherwise, I'm w/you on FULL MANUAL- HAS to be lighter too, even if only by two pounds or so... Either way, the only way to get lumbar adj in stock Porsche seats for these cars , that I know of, is by 12-way elec adj & the Sport ones I picked up were ligther than 8-way elec adj normal seat- go figure... So, if you EVER have ANY of your Sport seats out, PLEASE throw them on a scale for me... I'd love to have a technical weight, even though they do vary from year to year, etc... they SEEM to vary fromm car to car, actually... I've weighed a few & had a few #'s sent to me & realize that scales can vary too though... Oh, btw- my door panels & such are normal vinyl- not cloth Porcsche script, just ot let you know, as some cars DID have cloth panels, etc- they're nice too when kept up well, but that's a tough material to match... Heat is nice to have when you have significant others who get cold easily & you don't want to melt while she gets comfortable... :-)

As for the cashmere beige not matching your color code, it does begin w/a "T"- what I meant by this was that your color code MAY be a code for the whole car, but, some of the seperate pieces may only have a partial code from that mixed w/other #'s for their specific parts... does this make sense? I'm not sure at all if this is true, but that's why i was saying the cashmere beige looked like the most likely... so, have you actually ruled it out by the actual color match, or, just based on the partially dif code???

I agree w/you, if at all possible, IIWY, I would also try my best to keep that since it's a nice combo AND is a light interior AND exteroir which is nice in the summer...
Old 01-21-2006, 09:22 PM
Todd951968
Burning Brakes

I may take the seats out to refinish them, so , I'll weight them for sure and let you know. I'd like to know that bit of info, too. Weight does make a difference. I recently took off my Cup1 replica wheels of my 951 and put on a nice set of polished Sport Classics (OEM for Boxster made by BBS). The Sport Classics were 9 pounds lighter (each) in front and 6.5 pounds lighter in the rear than the replicas! That's 31 pounds of unspring weight savings right there. I know some of the difference may be in the different brands of tires (yokos vs michelins).

I eliminated cashmere beige only because I'd seen a different option code for it. Damian in NJ said code TJ is for classic greay partial leather. That led me to believe that T meant partial leather. It doesn't.

Do you know if there are code sticker or part numbers under the seats or behind the door panels. I saw on Sunsets webpage that certain trim pieces have several part numbers, depending on their color. For example; armrest ,leatherette is part number 944 555 075 01 and the following codes denote color of that armrest: 05T =black, 9ZH=cobalt blue, 7RT =cashmere beige, and so on. ...everything but the seat code for TS. Go figure.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:28 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Is this for your 968 or 951? What year is the car? Thanks.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:18 AM
Todd951968
Burning Brakes

I'm looking for TS code for the 1992 968, ehall.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:45 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

92-93 968 has one similar code. The code is TS2 and is listed as blue/blue in both comfort seats and sports seats. The color code should have two letters and one number. ie Linen/linen is TW2. You're going to have to dig for some more numbers.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:35 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ehall- wait a sec... linen/linen... what is this from? I've never been able to find ANY linen in any 968... Is that from 951? Also, in this case, ,I assume the dash would be linen up top too, unlike the deviating linen/black...???

Todd- yeah, that's all pretty weird... PITFA really... but still, we keep coming up w/at least one "T" in cashmere beige, it seems, no matter what part we find... This is why I keep thinking this... I'm just not that goood at this, but, I did see a color brochure on ebay once- it's not avaiable anymore as of a few days ago- you might try searching there, but I wrote down that it went for $9.95- this was a few weeks ago & I just found the note... You might be able to find one for 1992 968...? Of course, this STILL might not tell you knowing our luck so far... Anyway, there SHOULD be a code somewhere on the car on some part- did you actually call Sunset? If so, try another dealer- someone would have to know IF there were some sort of interior color code in the car itself somewhere...
Old 01-22-2006, 12:32 PM
Todd951968
Burning Brakes

ehall- the interior color code is only 2 letters. Its the same in my 951; LT=Black. You may be right in thinking that individual parts, such as door panels, may have a larger alphanumeric code. I'd like to know where to look before I start tearing apart the car, though.

Robby, I checked out Sunsets webpage, didn't call them. Its extremely comprehensive, except for, you know-the code for LT. I heard that dealerships don't really like to do that kind of research for you but if I can't find out soon, I may talk to a woman here at the local Porsche dealership where I service my car. I think the personal contact will work best and she may do me a favor.

I am the winner of the color brochure you mentioned that was on ebay. It ended up costing me $25.50 with shipping-hasn't come in yet. I'm not holding my breath on whether or not it will have the code. I HOPE it does, after shelling out all that money for a piece of paper. I hope I get it in this week. I'll let you both know the contents. Then, probably put back on ebay to recoup the money.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:53 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Todd951968
ehall- the interior color code is only 2 letters. Its the same in my 951; LT=Black. You may be right in thinking that individual parts, such as door panels, may have a larger alphanumeric code. I'd like to know where to look before I start tearing apart the car, though.

Robby, I checked out Sunsets webpage, didn't call them. Its extremely comprehensive, except for, you know-the code for LT. I heard that dealerships don't really like to do that kind of research for you but if I can't find out soon, I may talk to a woman here at the local Porsche dealership where I service my car. I think the personal contact will work best and she may do me a favor.

I am the winner of the color brochure you mentioned that was on ebay. It ended up costing me $25.50 with shipping-hasn't come in yet. I'm not holding my breath on whether or not it will have the code. I HOPE it does, after shelling out all that money for a piece of paper. I hope I get it in this week. I'll let you both know the contents. Then, probably put back on ebay to recoup the money.
Really? Then I guess I AND Clark Fletcher, AND PET6 are all wrong.

Acrobat Printable Version
944 Interior Color Codes
Code Color Year Models
3BF Black Thru 1985
1NF Beige Thru 1982
8NF Brown Thru 1985
4BF Grey Thru 1985
3FF Grey Beige 83 - On
2LF Burgundy 85½ - On
5MD Can-Can Red 85½ - On
1YD White 85½ - On
9VD Champagne 85½ - On
1DR Black 86 - On
9RR Brown 86 - On
2FP Light Grey 86 - On
4JR Burgundy / Burgundy 86 - On
2MC Can-Can Red 86 - On
3YC White 86 - On
4VC Champagne 86 - On
8FC Silver Grey 1988
8WC Linen 89 - 90
4KF Blue 89 - 90
G47 Cobalt Blue 1991
D06 Classic Grey 1991

Clark's Garage © 1998

I got the codes I provided earlier from PET6 in the seat section of the catalog.
You'll also find a good example of the color code in the part numbers on the seat covers in this auction.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT
Old 01-22-2006, 10:20 PM
Todd951968
Burning Brakes

I won't go so far as to say you are wrong, ehall. But, the interior code on my 951 is definitely black and I've seen its color code elsewhere. In the two cars I have, the interior color code, which follows the paint code both have 2 letters.

Quick Reply: Interior Color code TS (Linen or Pearl, or?)