Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Do 968 rod bolts stretch? Can they be replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 12:13 PM
gnosis
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do 968 rod bolts stretch? Can they be replaced?

The title says it all, really. I have my 968 engine apart and want to know if I need to replace the original rod bolts with new ones. If so, can I get them from Porsche, as the PET only shows rods and rod bolts coming together as a unit. Pelican's parts catalogue lists separate rod bolts for 944s but fails to mention the 968. Since 968 rods are different to 944 rods, I'm wondering if they have magic rod bolts that don't stretch and therefore don't need to be replaced. The Racewear website only lists 944 parts too, suggesting yet again that the 968 is special and the originals will withstand a rebuild. The 968 service manual is consistent with this. It says to replace the nuts, but says nothing about bolts. Does anyone know if it's okay to go ahead and use the original bolts so long as I use new nuts?
Old 11-06-2005, 10:52 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I would definitely do that. I know the head nuts stretch so I would assume the same goes for rod nuts as well. They are relatively inexpensive. I would would with Raceware if I were you.
Raj
Old 11-07-2005, 01:27 AM
gnosis
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with you on the nuts. Nuts are cheap, and a no-brainer. I already have new ones, ready to install, for both the rods as well as the head. But the problem is I really can't afford ARP/Racewear bolts, and I've already had everything balanced with the old bolts. Changing to aftermarket ones will surely affect the balance. Getting things balanced before answering this question was bad planning on my part perhaps, but it's been facilitated by the total lack of any written evidence that 968 rod bolts need to be replaced, or that replacement parts are actually available (what's their part number?). Sure they're available for 944s, but nobody lists a part for 968s, and the Porsche service manual makes no mention of replacing rod bolts despite explicitly saying to replace the nuts. This fact, above all else, suggests to me that Porsche technicians regularly reassembly rods with the original bolts and new nuts.

Quick Reply: Do 968 rod bolts stretch? Can they be replaced?