Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

shrinking black gaskets between rear bumper, side skirts and body panels

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 10:07 PM
wildwestrider
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shrinking black gaskets between rear bumper, side skirts and body panels

the black rubber gasket or "beading" between the rear bumper cover and the adjacent body panels are shrinking and have pulled out of the gaps that they are normally seated in. The gaskets for the side ground effects panels/rocker panels/side skirts are doing the same thing.

I'm guessing my car is not the first to do this and that there is a recognised cure for this problem that saves some time, effort and dollars.

Any Suggestions?

Brian
Austin tx
Old 09-18-2005, 10:41 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Get new ones, its a DIY job. Not hard at all and the beading should be less than $100. Same goes for the rocker panel gaskets.
Raj
Old 09-18-2005, 10:47 PM
wildwestrider
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Get new ones, its a DIY job. Not hard at all and the beading should be less than $100. Same goes for the rocker panel gaskets.
Raj
any tips on how this is done?
Old 09-18-2005, 11:17 PM
flash968
Banned

on the rocker panels, to do it right, you have to remove the rocker panels so you can bond the new gaskets to them on the back - they have a bunch of clips that you use a door panel tool to release (careful, they break very easily)

those gaskets are very cheap at sunset
Old 09-19-2005, 01:00 AM
wildwestrider
Intermediate

thanks on the follow up. do you have a web address for Sunset?

Brian
Old 09-19-2005, 02:30 AM
flash968
Banned

i think it's www.sunsetimports.com - the site is a bit odd, and you end up ordering on the phone, but they are great guys and have the best OEM parts prices

they have the other gasket too - if it's the same as the one for the cab, then it's not much more than a bead or rubber that fits into a groove
Old 09-19-2005, 10:47 AM
Glau
4th Gear

Is there a particular bonding adhesive recommended for this job?

Also, as a temporary fix I found I could stretch and slip the bead along the trouble spots back into place during a car wash while the areas are soaped up. It has stayed in place since May when I started the slow process of cleaning up my 968 from the less than pristine condition when I got her from the OP. Definately still need replacing though.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:52 AM
flash968
Banned

any good epoxy should work fine on the rockers - there is a groove and such for the gasket to sit in, so just a bit on the rear in the groove to keep it in the groove

there should be nothing required on the rear piece
Old 09-19-2005, 05:25 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

There should be no need to use any epoxy. I have never used any and have had no problems. Pry the rockers off by using a flat screw drivers very gently between the body and panel. They should pop out. In some cases, you will break the plastic beads so have a few handy.
For the rear bumper bead, you will need to remove the rear lights, a bunch of 8mm screws on the inside of the quarter panels, removal of bumprettes and some clips hidden behind the lights. It will all make sense when you start taking it apart. Once the rear bumper is apart, you can slide the new bead in.
Its been a while so its all from memory.
Raj
Old 09-19-2005, 06:50 PM
flash968
Banned

if you use the correct tool, and not a screwdriver, you won't break any of those clips - amazing gadget - you can get it at kragen for about 5 bucks

i have not been so lucky - i now have to remove my rocker covers again because i listened to somebody else and did not use epoxy - they have now come loose and need to be glued to make them stay put - the body shop that reshot my rockers, before i reshot the whole car, had to do the same thing for the same reason

Quick Reply: shrinking black gaskets between rear bumper, side skirts and body panels