968 Forum 1992-1995

Anyone use underdrive pulleys?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 09:26 PM
Tye
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone use underdrive pulleys?

When I picked up my car from my mechanic the other day, he mentioned that the altenator pulley on a 968 altenator is smaller than those on a 944. This supposedly was done to carry all of the newer power accessories, even at, or near idle.

At any rate, my car is used primarily for track duty, so I'm considering putting on a 944 altenator pulley, or maybe even one of the Broadfoot underdrive pulleys. Anybody have any experience? (Sorry if this has been posted before...)
Old 09-18-2005, 11:13 PM
flash968
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have them on my car - works fine on a toy, as is mine, but i would not recommend them on a street car, especially if you plan to commute - the alternator output at low rpm (anything below 1250) is too low to charge the battery - turn anytihng on and you are seriously drawing from the battery - forget about using the ac, heater, fans, wipers or headlights in traffic - a track car would be fine

power is increased up to about 2500 rpm, but levels off after that

side note - you can use the same serpentine belt if you use the entire set, but if you only use a part of the set, you will need to change belt lengths - the other belt has to be changed, as it is a different length

Quick Reply: Anyone use underdrive pulleys?