Engine Stuttering

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 12:16 PM
SMuCK007
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine Stuttering

Hey guys,

I started the car today with a few problems. While the car was idling, I noticed that the tach needle would hover between 800-1000 rpm, a bit lower than its normal range. Everytime the engine would dip, the car would act like it was about to stall (vibrations throughout the entire car, engine squealing, etc).

I took the car out around the block, and noticed that the whole-car vibrations coming from the engine did not stop in the 2-4000 rpm range. It drives pretty rough, and you can hear it from the sounds coming out of the exhaust.

I don't think its the DME relay (replaced that a few months ago) or the belts (replaced all the belts less than 5000 miles ago/2 years). Other than that, I'm not really sure where else to look.

May not be related but I did spray down the engine a few weeks ago with Simply Green and water - perhaps I hit something that I wasn't suppose to? But then again I didn't have any problems driving the car since then until now.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-01-2005, 03:47 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

There is water/condensation in your wires/ignition system. Let it run for a bit, it will clear everything up when the engine gets warm.
Raj
Old 07-06-2005, 01:31 AM
SMuCK007
Instructor

Thanks for the reply Raj,

I tried it but nothing changed. I even pulled the wires and found them pretty dry. It's strange because I didn't have a problem since then. Perhaps belts? I don't think it would hurt to get them checked.

Anyway, I'm going to take the car to a mechanic later in the week and see what they say. I don't want to go out and blindly buy new parts if its not something that's not needed.

Wish me luck!
Old 07-06-2005, 11:04 AM
flash968
Banned

the first part of this sounds like what my car did when my distributor cap and rotor were pretty torched - i was shocked because they only had 10k on them, but they were definitely gone - changed them and problem gone - yours could be worse, or even cracked

take a good look at your cap and rotor

if you don't see anything amiss there, turn the lights off in the garage at night and open the hood and watch the engine while running - see if you see stray sparks

Quick Reply: Engine Stuttering