Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Purchase 968 w/o service history esp. belts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 11:41 AM
paredown
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Purchase 968 w/o service history esp. belts?

Hiyall,

First post on 968 board--former 944 owner (died and was donated as we tore outa town...) and long-time afficianado. I've been shopping for a used P-car to ship to Europe (seriously high prices in Germany--whoda thunk it...) I've been looking at 964s but probably can't swing a decent one, & have been trolling various sites for 988s too.

Question: Who would buy a 968 that has had the belts "inspected" (by certified P mechanic) & proclaimed to be OK, but for which there is no long service record?

I understand that the 968 has hydraulic tensioners--does this help take care of occasional adjustments?

Anyone with some recent experience of getting full belt service done, since I am wrench-free and shopless at present ?

Car has 95k, and looks immaculate from the pictures.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:53 PM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The timing and balance belt should have been changed at or before 60K miles. The balance belt would then need to be retensioned 2.5K miles later. The timing belt tension is maintained by a oil filled tensioner, however the tensioner can fail as mine did.

If the belts can not be shown to have been changed I would have them changed before you start the engine. Timing belt failure is likely to cost $5K to repair.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:24 PM
paredown
Advanced

As I thought--visual inspection is not going to tell you very much, other than tension is set OK, and no obvious signs of wear or damage.

The late 944 (didn't even think of a PPI) required belts, motor mounts and a few other things right at the start, so this could be less than a perfect beginning for 968 ownership, too.

Candidate 2 is a low mileage 94 968 (37k), service incl. belts done for 21,000. Seemed a bit steep, but maybe you get what you pay for...

BTW Bruce, I've enjoyed your posts. And, we're nearly neighbours (for a short time at least), since I'm in Rogers, AR...
Old 05-16-2005, 03:08 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 790 Likes on 414 Posts

Amen to what Bruce said...If purchased I'd have both belts changed and ALL the rollers inspected before I drive it...cheap insurance!
Old 05-16-2005, 09:37 PM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are these cars in the NW Arkansas area? If so perhaps I could come up and have a look.

If the second choice is a Cab with 6 speed then it is a great price!
Old 05-17-2005, 02:54 PM
paredown
Advanced

Thanks for the offer to look at the car! Sadly, neither car is in Arkansas.

The second at $21k is a coupe 6 spd, not cab. I see the listing has been dropped, so I need to contact the owner to see if it is still for sale...

Quick Reply: Purchase 968 w/o service history esp. belts?