Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Reversing asymmetric track tyres ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 08:10 AM
Heyou
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reversing asymmetric track tyres ?

Through bad geometry settings and i'm sure using too much steering inout from me when it's not needed, i've prematurely scrubbed the outside corners off a new front set of Pirelli P-Zero Corsas. I've got the geometry set correctly now but before i take it back to the track i wondered if i could salvage some of the wear otherwise the tyres are going to be useless if i continue to use them as they are.

Could i simply swap the left and right tyres to the opposite side of the car, still keeping them in the same plane and the rotation of each tyre will stay the same. That's NOT turning the tyre on the same rim but swapping sides of the car.

The tyres are asymmetric and rotational, but as i'd only use them for dry track days i wondered if this would be OK? Obviously they're no longer being used as designed and as the tread pattern is different the grip levels would change but would it be dangerous?

here's a pic the scrubbed tyre.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/derrick...es%20009-s.jpg

cheers

Del.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:53 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Flip the tires on the same rim and run them backwards, that's the only way to get the outsides to become insides. Of course, it's not advisable to run them in this configuration in the rain. If it does rain and you still have tread, just swap them left for right and you will have the tire going in the correct direction.
Old 04-21-2005, 01:38 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 171 Posts

Toyo specifically recommends the "flip it on the rim" to even out wear. Same caution on rain applies, but I've done it with every set of tires that has been used at the track thus far.
Old 04-23-2005, 01:31 AM
Heyou
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for clearing that up

I imagined that i'd have to keep the rotation of the tyre the same.. and flipping them on the same rim would have reversed that and would have been a bad thing. But the rotation marked on the tyre is presumably just to keep the tread pattern going in the correct direction for rain.

cheers

Del.

Last edited by Heyou; 04-23-2005 at 09:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Reversing asymmetric track tyres ?