968 Forum 1992-1995

968 variocam in S2

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 07:20 PM
bigbrotherjohn
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 968 variocam in S2

I have searched pretty thouroughly and found a lot of good information concerning the Variocam system. One thing that i couldn't find though was any information on what other changes the ECU makes to the engine when it activates the variocam solenoid and advances the timing. Is the Ignition timing also advanced at the same time? The reason I'm asking is beacause i have a 944S2 with a 968 head. I would like to hook up the variocam system using a switch that turns it on at a certain RPM and then off again later on. I would rather not get the 968 ECU and MAF if i can use the variocam this way, even if it is slightly limited. Also, is the Variocam usefull without the 968 intake. I heard that it has dual resonance chambers or something, what does that mean and how important is it? Thanks in advance for any answers, i have tried to find out about this topic on pelicanparts but it looks like the rennlist 968 forums are a little better populated.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:03 AM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 968 intake manifold is honed to reduce the turbulant air going in-I don't think it effects the variocam system. The variocam on a 968 works exactly as you describe, it comes on at a certain RPM, then off at another. It's not variable as far as I know. I don't know enough about the ECU to give you advice on how to make that happen without using a 968 ecu.

good luck,
Steve
Old 03-08-2005, 11:07 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Big, the intake manifolds are almost identical with just a section being different for the Porsche vanity cover install.
I think I would swap the ECU, harness and MAF. Just remember, all these pieces together netted the additional HP and torque, not just one. A lot of 951 owners swap to MAF and find a considerable difference by just that one mod. Also, make sure both engines run similar size injectors as well.
Good luck.
Raj

Quick Reply: 968 variocam in S2