advice on reinstalling stock springs - xpost from water cooled forum

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 08:49 PM
phil0618
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default advice on reinstalling stock springs - xpost from water cooled forum

One of the previous owners installed some aftermarket parts including
Koni shocks (8040-1035 Sports, and 8741-1136L Sports) and Weltmeister springs SP-200. In addition there is the model 133.412.341 spring perch. My 968 also has Weltmeister sway bars front and rear. Parts were ordered from Paragon.

I want to go back to the stock springs to soften the ride slightly, but also to get back to the stock ride height and wheel clearance.

My question is what do I need to accomplish that? Will the current front shocks/struts work fine with the original springs or is there something else that I would need to purchase or change to re-install the original springs?

I’m not aware of any changes to the torsion bars in the rear so I believe they are stock.

I've gotten some feedback that says that I have to go back to the standard struts in order to use the stock springs and that doesn't make this stock spring idea seem to appealing.

Lastly if I do this work are there any other maintenance items that you would definitely do while you had the car apart? My car only has 56,000 miles on it so it is still relatively ‘new’ in that sense.

Thanks,

Phil
Old 03-01-2005, 09:53 AM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure if there is a difference with the the perches on the Koni's and the stock perches. It might depend on whether or not the PO changed them out when then put in the new shocks/struts.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:16 AM
phil0618
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello, Phil.

Effectively, the parts on your car belong to the 944 Turbo 87-88. This was likely done due to availability of parts back then. If you just want the ride height raised, we have 1" spacers specifically designed for that:
http://www.paragon-products.com/product_p/cs-900.htm

If you do indeed want to reduce the spring rate in the front (from 200 to 140 - OE 968 was closer to 160) and also restore near original ride height, then you need a set of used Turbo springs (original 968/S2 springs will not fit). I have a few used sets available for $25/set +s/h. It's a simple bolt on replacement but does require that you use spring compressors for safety.

My only concern with regard to restoring that stock ride and feel is that the Weltmeister sway bars may be more the problem than the springs. They are quite a bit stiffer than original. Also, the 200# fronts are a good match for the uprated sway bars as the rear is a bit stiffer in comparison than the original bias to help reduce understeer. The 200# fronts bring the understeer balance back in line with what the factory intended (for safety).

The rear eccentrics do allow for adjusting the ride height by just under 1".
Here's a link to the details on that:
http://www.tech-session.com/kb/index...x_v2&id=62&c=4

With regard to while-you're-in-there stuff, it's always a good idea to check all the bushings and joints for wear. Give everything in the front end a good wiggle. Check the rear caster mounts for rubber deterioration. Check the control arm balljoints for slack. Great time for an oil and transaxle fluid change.

Good Luck!

Skip
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts, Tech & Info www.paragon-products.com www.tech-session.com

Quick Reply: advice on reinstalling stock springs - xpost from water cooled forum