Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Anderson Motorworks Turbo Conversion..

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 02:14 PM
Fletcher
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anderson Motorworks Turbo Conversion..

any experience with these guys? They make a low pressure set up for 60h.p.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:43 PM
ckathens
Drifting

Looks nice! Any idea on ballpark figures?
Old 01-25-2005, 03:00 PM
Fletcher
Racer

I am talking about 968's btw, not Boxsters. Just curious I have not seen much about low pressure systems on the 968 while still retaining a/c etc. Seems like a good idea, just curious. How much are they are they reliable etc. A dual turbo for my Box is 24k without installation, simply too rich for my blood.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:29 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Check your old Excellence magazines, G96's Anderson (pretty sure) converted car was compared to a big $$$$ Powerhaus (I think) conversion.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:48 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Fletcher, you might be able to buy most of the parts needed for that conversion. Jay Wellwood is looking to sell the complete setup from that article as he is going to high pressure 2 valve setup. You might want to try PM'ing him.
Raj
Old 01-25-2005, 03:59 PM
flash968
Banned

many things to be said about that place - i will withhold my comments because it makes my blood boil, but eric will have a few choice words i'm sure - suffice it to say i will not be going back
Old 01-25-2005, 04:08 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Fletcher, you might be able to buy most of the parts needed for that conversion. Jay Wellwood is looking to sell the complete setup from that article as he is going to high pressure 2 valve setup. You might want to try PM'ing him.
Well that's interesting. Jay explicitly stated on several occasions that I'd have first right of refusal on some of those parts but everything changes after the title is signed over! Oh well.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:12 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Trevor, I am assuming so its not coming from him. I just thought thats what he would want to do.
Raj
Old 01-25-2005, 04:19 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah he probably preferred your suggestion of selling the 'set.'

http://mall.rennlist.com/scripts/fea...uery=retrieval
Old 01-25-2005, 07:56 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

Actually guys, I started the 3.o liter thread awile back and noted that at some point in time the parts would go up for sale. I updated the thread 2 weeks ago (sorry for the delay).

There is an ad in the classifieds that I placed week before last for the entire setup (Intake, Exhaust, Crfoss-over, Turbo, custom chips and the waste gate). Then I had to go out of state on company business :sigh: and have just settled back inot the groove.

Hey Trevor...you still have the first right to refusal if you'd like.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:50 PM
Fletcher
Racer

Is a low pressure stock motor set up not the right way to go in your mind?
Old 01-26-2005, 10:47 AM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts
Cool

Depends upon you objective.

A low pressure mod results in ~60hp increase, is easyily reconverted to stock apperance and is least in the cost area. The only real drawback is that if not performed correctly, you can blow a head gasket at the very least. Also, periodically, during warmer weather the knock sensors activate thus reducing the timing and you lose in the power production area. This can be circumvented by using race gas, but that typically isn't available at you local Texaco/Shell type local mini-marts and gas stations.

A high pressure application is more $ and more time, but permits one to run higher boost values. The procedure is much more invasive and is not easily re-convereted back to the stock configuration. Alot more power is produced (and yes, you can still blow a head gasket - it's just not as likely).

Hope this helps...
Old 01-26-2005, 08:38 PM
Fletcher
Racer

So who if anyone is performing reliable low pressure turbo systems, anyone? Or are they all one off customs? Any way to circumvent the knock sensor issue? If I buy one of these cars a low pressure turbo is high on my list of course so is keeping it smog legal so maybe I am just dreaming.
It looks like some other mods may be practical for it's stock motor config. Any intake, exhaust or headers worth anything for these cars?
Old 01-26-2005, 10:46 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Fletcher, one thing the setup lacked was an intercooler. That itself would have dropped the charge temperature enough that you could have reliably run the same boost if not another point more without any issues.
The setup had all the proper ingredients. I think if an intercooler was added with bigger injectors and proper dyno tuned chips, that setup can be made bulletproof. Ofcourse it was not done that way so its is all in theory right now. I would be willing to bet that reliable 300rwhp can be made running 6psi on that same setup with proper tuning and intercooling.
For example, the supercharger setup from 9M has been reliable in not only street but also track conditions. That setup also runs on stock top end and stock compression. It seems to be holding up fine. Biggest difference is that it was tuned properly with intercooling, which is a BIG benefit. I think the setup was almost there. It was at most another $2-3K away from being reliable. This is just my opinion and by no means a knock against anyone. It was a 1st attempt which still should be considered successful and should be given credit for.
I wish I could buy the setup and take it to the next level.
Raj
Old 01-27-2005, 01:27 AM
Fletcher
Racer

Supercharger from 9m? Do they sell a complete kit? Have a link...

Quick Reply: Anderson Motorworks Turbo Conversion..