968 Forum 1992-1995

Help with Clutch pedal

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 12:28 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Clutch pedal

We bought a really nice 968 cab about 6 months ago. My wife is having a hard time driving the car. Primarily because she has to pull the seat up so far to get the clutch all the way to the floorboard. Her body is almost touching the steering wheel. If you don't get the clutch all the way to the floor, it doesn't always start, not to mention scraping gears, particulalry when downshifting. I don't have a problem, but I also have to pull the seat up further than I do normally. I'm 5'9", she is 5'5".

This became so frustrating to her that we later bought a Boxster which is much easier for her to drive. Is this normal for a 968? If so, can the clutch pedal be adjusted to bring it closer to engage higher up off the floorboard? If it's not normal, where could the problem lie?

The 968 is a much nicer car than the 97 Boxster and I would prefer to make the 968 more drivable for her and keep it, but right now she wants me to sell it and keep the Boxster. I could keep both, but I don't have enough garage space.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:07 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

The clucth pedal in a 968 does not need to be depressed in order for you to start the car. They don't have that safety feature. Sounds like your clutch may need to be adjusted. The release point/grab point can be adjusted from underneath but before you do that, you should make sure your clutch is in good shape. When was the last time the hydraulic system was bled?
Also, your disc could be low to cause this. There is an inspection hole on the drivers side of the Bellhousing. You can measure the gap between the slave cylinder pin and fork to see if its within spec.
Sounds like your clutch is not completely disengaging. A hydraulic system bleed would me a good start. While you bleed, check for the pin through the hole.
Raj
Old 12-30-2004, 02:55 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. I have a factory manual on CD so I will get on it this weekend. Could any of that cause the no start? If the clutch isn't depressed it won't turn over at all. Maybe someone wired in the feature later? I have no idea when it was checked last. There was a 60k mile service done by PO about a 2.5 years ago. 77k now. No mention of clutch in the paperwork since a clutch replacement at 40k miles.

Quick Reply: Help with Clutch pedal