Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

968 DIY Site

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 05:06 PM
SANDOVAL
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bruce... Absolutely yes... and eventually...

Raj... the problem I see that you guys are faced with is that you want a DIY site that is easily managed, has bells and whistles to discuss the topics, can be edited 24 hours a day, and does not need updating. That equals A. A person with the skills and time that they can dedicate 100's of hours of development building the backend code, DB and front-end. or B. A person willing to fork over a lot of money to have it developed. I am not seeing either one of these as a possibility. Unless their is lurker on this forum that wants to tackle this task with passion. I agree it would be nice to have a specific 968 exclusive DIY archive type site. I honestly just don't see this type of site happening. I tried to do it on my own in a static form but it takes lots of effort. I think people would rather have other post a DIY article and then have a forum to discuss the topics. That is the reason I pointed out Laurens site. The 996 stuff is very active and I think it is a good twist on the forums idea. No OT BS just hardcore DIY and technical topics. At least this is what I think you guys are trying to archive right? Bruce donating a server is a good step in the right direction. But I don't think you guys are half way I am not sure how technical you are (lol j/k) but what you guys are looking for will take a skilled person a great number of hours to accomplish. I just don't see any volunteers stepping up. I think someone was supposed to create a for sale section for Ray over at 968.net and that was discussed over and over and it just never happened. I think you guys are faced with the same thing. So it is a matter of start using what is free and works really well or keep up the wishful thinking.

Just my opinion, not trying to be negative just pointing out what I think is a reality.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:35 PM
dynatech
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys,
i think this is a great idea, Raj if you need any pics of my cam replacement let me know, i'm sure that you've got it covered though, if there is anything Dynatech can do just let us know, we are about to put in a GT diff into Seans 944 S2 if we all pretend that its a 968 gearbox it could be some good information as the installation process would be the same,

Scott
Old 12-17-2004, 05:53 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I am always up to the challenge and it seems like the gauntlet has been thrown. Not the one to stand down, I will try my best with help from others to make it a reality.
Thanks guys and yes we can all start compiling everything we have already. I have a few friends that are smart enough to know what they are doing. Between them and my self we should be able to get this thing going. I can use all the help I can get though as this is not my expertise (Sr Cisco Network/Security Engineer) so if anyone wants to help, please contact me directly.
BTW, I registered 968turbo.net a year back and still own that domain name so we can either use that or get a new one. I do need another hobby and this might be it .

Raj
Old 12-17-2004, 06:05 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I didn't get the impression that this was going to be anything other than a site to host procedures, for people to refer to-we already can talk here if we have immediate questions that need answering.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:19 PM
SANDOVAL
Three Wheelin'

Damian... if that is all you guys are looking for.... Send me in word format your DIY article with the pictures in the file where you want them and I will turen them into PDF's and post them to the DIY section of 968s.com... The website is in all the search engines and linked from many of the popular 968/944 related websites.

Send your DIY article to info@rejexusa.com

http://www.968s.com/DIY.htm
Old 12-17-2004, 08:32 PM
Eric_k
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is also tech-session.com. It is a good idea, but Eric S is right, it will take work and dedication by somebody.

Raj, I trade you the dot com for the car.

Eric
Old 12-17-2004, 09:28 PM
TurboCab
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Difficult, but not impossible. Go ahead guys! Let me know if I can be of any help.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:41 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

It doesn't have to have bells and wistles day one. We can start by just hosting DIY's and see how things develop. Bruce, I will send you some articles and you have the bandwidth so we should be able to host it. I will talk to a few people to find out whats involved. In the meantime, the most important part is articles so I will get cracking on those.
Just a quick question, should we always try to take pics or only when its more involved. Something like a control arm swap is quite simple and can literally be written in 10-15 sentences and only difference between our cars and other 944 variants is brake ducts and deflectors.
Eric K, I have not used the domain but made sure I have it just in case. One of these days I will finally get to it and build a website. Can't be too hard. Even Eric S was able to build one(j/k).
Raj
Old 12-18-2004, 02:13 AM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

I think we should include pictures with each article. As a recent newbie to both the 968 and working on cars in general I found that it was much easier to understand a procedure when I was able to see a picture before crawling under the car. Many of us have digital cameras and I have software in place to automatically resize the pictures. Lets put the largest images we can into a library that can be browsed as well as included in the articles.

So far I have been placing pictures I take while working on the 968 at http://968.2ward.com/index.php?ALBUM=ServiceAndRepair
Old 12-18-2004, 09:27 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Bruce, for the time being we can host them the same way to your site. Until we can get the search engine part, we can just give the link to people and in enough time people will know where to go for these DIY articles.
I think collectively with all the help being offered, we should be able to come up with a kick a$$ site.
Raj
Old 12-18-2004, 11:32 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

I'm wondering if the php-nuke that we use on the kcws page would work for this? All that would have to be done is to set topics up for various components similar to the factory manual headings and then individuals can post their write ups as threads under the topic. Moderators can be set up to make sure things stay appropriate and don't get off topics, but then you can get additional commentary and advice as a part of the discussion of each thread. Best of all, its extremely easy to set up and admin, and its free!

I like the idea of this being done independent of any other sites, by the way...

Regards,
Old 12-18-2004, 12:40 PM
SANDOVAL
Three Wheelin'

essentially that is what renntech is right? I am not sure why you are trying to recreate the wheel if there is already a site out there for you to use. You just have to start using it... I don't see what is to gain by going through the trouble. I think Lorens site is great and it is exactly what you need he can make the articles sticky if you want.

Eric
Old 12-18-2004, 12:57 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The idea is that a couple of guys want to host their own 968 specific site that they have control over, and not have to partner with anyone else.
Old 12-18-2004, 01:16 PM
SANDOVAL
Three Wheelin'

a couple of guys want to host their own 968 specific site that they have control over
Ahhh an anti Flash site... I get it... j/k

I see where you guys are going if you have the skills I think it is a great idea.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:44 PM
bythesea
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been reading and learning all sorts of stuff on this and the 968.net site for over a year now. My 968 goes to the shop for work but the idea of doing stuff myself is intriguing...well, at least some stuff. Personally, I think the whole idea of developing a site to organize and document all types of 968 projects and repairs sound just great....such a small group and we all need help of one type or another.

Well, I do have a web services business and would be willing to help out in return for all that I've learned from reading many of your posts already. It doesn't seem that there is a need for another message board but rather just a well organized repository of information with a search feature. I certainly would be willing to help come up with a basic design/nav system. If you're heading up the effort Bruce, PM me and we can start working on a site outline.

Quick Reply: 968 DIY Site