oil level warning light

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 02:34 AM
peartree
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil level warning light

Hi there-

The oil level warning light in my '94 968 comes on (and stays on) about 50% of the time that I start the car. The actual oil level is halfway between the marks on the stick. Of course, my first thought was that there must be a problem with the sender. However, I followed a test posted on the PCA website and was able to rule out the sender. In this test you disconnect the wire from the sender when the car is running and the light it on. If the light goes out when the wire is disconnected, it points to the sender. If the light stays on it means there is a ground problem somewhere else on that circuit.

I took a quick look to try and follow the wire, but without taking things apart it appears hard to track. Anyone know where this wire goes? I read somewhere that this wire connects to a harness in the engine compartment. Does anyone know where this harness is? I was thinking I'd disconnect the wire from the harness (if that's possible) and see if the light goes off.

Has anybody had this problem before? Any recommendations?
Thanks,
-Ken
Old 11-22-2004, 02:42 AM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How is the oil pressure?

If the oil pressure is ok then you are experiencing a common bug with out cars. I have had it happen a couple of times when parked on a hill. It really scared me the first time but when I posted about it many others said the same thing had happened to them. When my oil light comes on I add a quart and keep it at or slightly above the top mark on the stick.

Also the sensor will not check again for two minutes.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:14 AM
PennyWise
Racer

Consider it an early warning system.. Mine does the same...

I keep a quart in the car, and generally check the oil once a week when the car is cold and level.

If the light does come on, I know If I parked with the nose up, if I was level, I generally do a quick oil check and top up if I need to.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:32 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Ken, the wiring for the level sender is part of the engine wire harness and cannot be seperated. Your best bet to check the grounds is to undo the ground straps on the flywheel bell housing. Use a fine sand paper and remove any corrosion, apply some electrical grease and install them back on.
A poor ground can cause this problem. The ground problem could very well be just the gound connector of the sender unit. Is it corroded?
Raj
Old 11-27-2004, 03:01 AM
peartree
Track Day

Thanks All-
I topped off the oil and (keeping my fingers crossed) haven't seen the warning light come on in a couple days. Tomorrow if I have time I'm going to check and clean the engine ground point also for good measure.
-Ken
Old 11-30-2004, 02:51 AM
peartree
Track Day

I have the oil level at about 7/8 full on the dipstick and so far the light has stayed off - thanks. I'm still interested in checking/ cleaning the engine ground. Unfortunately, I was unable to locate the engine ground point. I looked at the bellhousing from above (tough to see) and below the car and couldn't find it. Any recommendations on how to locate it? Pictures? Also, where is the connection point to the chassis? Thanks,
-Ken
Old 11-30-2004, 08:14 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Ken, I can't remember there being a chassis ground point. Only setup that I know is to the top of the bell housing. If you were to track your engine harness as it exits out of the firewall, you will see 2 wires get bolted on to the bell housing. Its these 2 connections that you are looking for. Good luck.
Raj

Quick Reply: oil level warning light