Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

968 at Japan GT Championship series (JGTC)

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 11:45 PM
TurboCab
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 968 at Japan GT Championship series (JGTC)

Take a look on this incredible looking 968. I contacted the team by email and they responded inmediatelly with information and aditional photos. Here is what they email me back:

Thanks for a mail. We really appriciate to all the members of
Rennlist who care about us.
The name "GT4" came from "being higher than GT3R" and from
Liquid4. Details would be on the renew-version of our website officially.
However, let me introduce some detailed specs about our "Arktech Advan
GT-4".
Our concept of development is to build the world fastest 968
based real racing machine ever and win against GT3R.
Engine is 3.0L single turbo with 40 pai ristrictor, due to the
JGTC regulation. Performance is 380ps and Torq is more than 70Kg.
If w/o ristrictor, it yield more than 500PS could be possible.
Transmission is from Hewland Sequential 6-speed.
Engine management is working with Motec M800.
Suspension, we use are double wishborne for both front and rear.
At the qualify race of SUGO circuit, we were on the second
posision among 7 Porsche based machines (GT3RSR 2004 was the top within
the Porsche machines) although our top speed was 30Km/hr slower than the
others.
About All Stars, to entry this race, we need to be selected.
Thus,it is bit difficult for us to participate this race based on our
passed records now.
However, if many people are willing to see us and send many e-mails
to GT-Assoc. USA, we might have an opportunity to see you guys there.

Please see our future together. Thanks for your concern.

Sincerely
Hiroya Iijima

An all star race for JGTC cars will be held in California this year. Unfortunatelly they will not come. It would be great t o see this machine. Here is the company web link:

http://www.arktech-motorsports.com
Old 07-31-2004, 06:42 AM
mike_hammond
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Superb find, but all I want to know is what are the headlights on the 968 in the last photo, awesome conversion.

Mike
Old 07-31-2004, 02:06 PM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike please sit down before you convert the prices, but Arttech manufactures the fenders that allows the headlight conversion.

http://www.arktech-motorsports.com/j...ductlist1.html
Old 07-31-2004, 02:45 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice wide radiator opening, quite similar to the Turbo S.
Old 08-01-2004, 09:07 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Damian, et al.,

Any ideas as to who manufactured the widebody pieces (ft fenders, rear quarters, rockers, etc.) on the Japanese race car? To my eye, that's what a 968 race car should look like.

Richard
Old 08-01-2004, 10:41 PM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^
|

Arttech manufactures them.

http://www.arktech-motorsports.com/j...ductlist1.html
Old 08-02-2004, 04:42 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Bruce,

Took your advice and made sure I was seated. According to the yen-to-dollar conversion, those fenders that I like so much are $2,900 a piece!

The GT Racing carbon fiber front fenders I've ordered are $755 for the pair. In fact, I'll be getting a carbon fiber hood, 2 front fenders, 4 flairs AND a p/u OEM front splitter (from Raj) for less than the price of one of those Japanese racing fenders.

I've saved so much money I'm thinking of replacing the entire suspension!

Richard
Old 08-05-2004, 09:44 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Divide Yen by 100 to get a rough USD estimate. I have friends in Japan if anyone is interested and I will be going at some point in the future (3-4 months).
Old 08-05-2004, 10:56 AM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

I've got their website bookmarked. I've lusted after those rockers for a year! If there is any way to get them I will move heaven and hell to do it!
Old 08-30-2004, 03:02 AM
long_beach_968
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fenders

those carbon fiber fenders for 799 a set, are those from arttech and do they allow for the 993 headlight conversion?
Old 03-07-2012, 02:51 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Richard,

do you have or know anyone with experience using the GT Racing 968 hoods ? i could really use a plastic hood that fits decent that i can work with making it streetable. thanks.

odurandina.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:25 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes. Jason Judd has GT Racing "carbon fiber" hood & fenders that I had originally purchased and traded with Jay for his OEM hood & fenders. Jay was looking to save weight and i needed to stay at a close to stock weight for my race class. Initially they seemed to fit well. Now, after 5-6 years of race stress, the hood appears a little buckled, but still a decent fit.

Of course, fitment with f/g parts is ALWAYS a challenge, requiring many hours of work to get "right".
Old 03-07-2012, 08:43 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

thanks for getting back !

would you happen to know what do they use for the frame structure on their fiberglass and cf hoods?

does it have a metal frame like our factory setups ??

i'm thinking of mating the entire lower portion to the factory hood frame and the upper corners... if i either fab one myself or try to mod a GTRacing hood to be more street friendly as i want it to open and close using the existing hinges and center latch....

i'm completely clueless about what GT Racing does to connect the hoods to the car. ahahaha.

from an earlier post this morning concerning the Fast LS3 manifold's clearance issues;

Originally Posted by odurandina

even with Eric's bumpsteer kit, the Fast is a huge manifold. so, i'll be needing to get involved with modifying the hood... first i'll need to eliminate the center frame section (which would necessitate adding strength elsewhere). next, i might need to fabricate a riser...

easy solution;

Doc mentioned on my LSx thread that Tony cut out the hood frame there. i could go that route with the stock hood and cut out the center frame section, then i'll be left with needing to brace the hood away from the intake. that won't be too hard, maybe just run two pairs of cf tubing along the inside, and laminate another complete layer on the outside... something like this should add sufficient strength to the hood.

exotic solution;

everyone wants a lightweight hood that works properly. there's a good reason you don't see a lot of carbon fiber hoods. still, would sure like to make one.... my strategy would be to get a hold of a second 968 hood and strip it down to the 3 critical pieces.... but before doing that, i would use it as a mold to construct a pretty stiff top by laminating several layers of epoxy resin, standard glass cloth and cf... epoxy is way more expensive and complicated to work with than polyester resin. and just using 3 or 4 sheets of cf would be getting very expensive so, i might have 4 sheets of cf laminated between 5 sheets of glass... also, epoxy is extremely toxic. but there's no reason to bother doing anything if you're not planning to use epoxy and at least some cf... next, mating a pair of cf tubes to run the perimeter and then attach the critical pieces... if i can pull this off, i'd still probably not have enough space to run a strut brace (after Van has completed his work)... but, it will be one hell of a nice hood.

third option;

it's much easier to begin with a ready-made sheet of plastic so the idea would be to combine a GT Racing hood with the critical parts from a stock hood frame and leave a cutout for the Fast... this would probably require mating a pair of cf tubes to run the perimeter and a couple of sheets of cf to stifen it for street driving. (i've heard the GT Racing body parts aren't close enough to spec to use for a street car) so a lot of modding might be required to bolt to the car as if it were stock....

i should be able to make this up using cf/glass/epoxy and parts of a stock hood.

Attached Images  
Old 03-07-2012, 10:52 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Gt racing offers both, complete hood or hood skin in FG (no more cf). If you want to use latch (instead of hood pins), they recommend the complete hood ... Not sure why. But you can call and ask them. I found them a little slow in delivery, but they did deliver and I was in no rush at the time.

Good luck.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:55 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

btw,

does anyone have a photo of the car pictured in the op ?

Quick Reply: 968 at Japan GT Championship series (JGTC)