968 Forum 1992-1995

Clutch solved!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 10:00 AM
IceWater
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch solved!

Well, after years of chasing the problem and replacing *every* single part in the whole system, I finally figured out what's wrong with my clutch, and you're gonna love it. The firewall is cracked at the master cylinder! I wanted to make sure that the mc nuts were tight, so I peered into the engine compartment while pumping the pedal, and sure enough, things were moving. I checked the nuts and they were snug, so I grabbed the mc and started shaking it and eventually noticed that it was the firewall that was moving. Its cracked below the mc where it meets the wheel well.

I'm leaving for the Glen tomorrow, so now I need to figure out the best way to fix it tonight. I can either borrow a mig welder and weld it myself, take it to a nuclear certified welder I know whow does odd jobs out of his garage, or bolt a backing plate to it. Any thoughts on what the best option is? Other ideas?

Thanks everyone...I've quite relieved to finally have it figured out.

Tom
Old 07-26-2004, 09:38 PM
Miles968
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You won't believe how common this problem is! I was unable to find any info on this topic. I called Powerhaus and spoke with David who has seen this problem several times before both on the 951 and 968. My car is currently in the shop having the firewall repaired. My mechanic blamed it on my heavy pressure plate. The obvious solutions, to me anyway, was to weld a plate on from inside the engine compartment. My mechanic is convinced that a better solution is to put a plate on the inside of the passenger compartment. His reasoning is that it will act as a huge washer that will be almost impossible to push thru the firewire as the forces are much more evenly distributed. Where as the repair from the engine compartment may fail again by tearing off. My mechanic was very insistant on doing it his way. I think if the repair is done correctly from either side it should work?
Old 07-27-2004, 01:18 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow, I was never aware of this, something to think about.
BTW Miles, I might have something for you. I will drop you a line tomorrow. Remember the centercaps I had done for my car? Well I sold my Cup2s so the centercaps with painted turbo insignia are still available if you need them. They will match your big reds.
Raj
Old 07-27-2004, 08:21 AM
IceWater
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I'm not the only one!

Well, I brought it to the welder, took of the MC in his garage and let him have a go at it. He didn't have any luck. The coating on the metal was too thick to weld through and he didn't have anything he could get in there with to grind it off. He's an older gentelman, and wasn't about to crawl under the dash to do it from the inside, so I'm going to attempt it myself today. Of course, the MC is such a pain in the *** that I didn't hook it back up and have been driving around sans any clutch at all...what fun! So the plan is to weld a plate on the inside today. That assumes that my boss got the message to bring in his portable MIG, of course.

Wish me luck!
Tom

Quick Reply: Clutch solved!