Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

New 968 coming home this saturday.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 09:28 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 37 Posts

Ok, we need to get all 4 of these cars together.....

Grant,

Lovely car btw, silver is still my favorite 968 color.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:13 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Dude, what are you doing asking for advise on turbo charging on 968.net. You are getting advise from people that have no clue what they are talking about. Your idea is being done by people and its not that big a deal. You should be able to handle the task no problem and have a much faster car with a heck lot more torque at a lot less rpm.
More torque than a 968, go figure. Peak is 225lbs/ft at 4500, nothing to write home about.
Raj
Old 07-22-2004, 11:49 PM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Raj, my cab and your yellow one take offense to " Peak is 225lbs/ft at 4500, nothing to write home about".

Only kidding.

Ian, believe me that you will get much better technical advice over here than on 968.net. Stick with Raj he has been there and done it. As for MC Hammers side kick (Flash) unless you want to remove your bumper, know how much a body panel weighs or tune your old british roadster ignore his posts.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:58 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

I'll stick with rennlist then, I was just hoping to find someone that has done this sort of thing before. It seems to me that it would be completely possible to do the swap, and the results very much worth while.

We will see what I do next, if I don't get any takers on the 968 i'll need to start playing around with it, and this was one of the more possible ideas i've come up with.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:08 AM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Raj, George, JasonJudd and PorscheG96 amongst others have turbocharged their 968s and it is likely that some 951 parts went into all of them. They have transmission experience as well. PorscheG96 (Trevor) had a 5 speed transmission in the turbocharged 968 he recently sold.

You can make a profit on that 968. If you do not like the car I think the most economical solution is to sell it at a profit and get a very nice 951.

When I bought my 968 I thought I would want to upgrade the engine and even considered the same 951 engine into 968 swap that you are considering. I also wanted a black 968 but found a good condition blue one. Since buying it I have decided that the power is sufficient (for now) and fallen in love with the color. I have parked beside identical 968s in black a couple of times and I prefer the way the blue brings out the curves. I also like the green color of your 968.

I am not a drag racer and really have no need for a lot of high end, but I love being able to push the right pedal a little harder and ease into a drift around a corner (of course only on the autocross course).
Old 07-23-2004, 12:50 AM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Bruce,

I do think the 968 motor could offer a lot of fun, and maybe after my first auto-x this weekend the motor will grow on me, and all these crazy ideas of motor swaps will be pulled from my mind. But I agree the best thing to do might be to sell her. Projects are a ton of fun, and even if the end result was two porsche that only a select few would want to own, well thats ok with me. The process it what keeps me going, I really enjoy getting something done myself....

What will happen next? Well i'm going to enjoy my weekend and try not to think about all of this....
Old 07-23-2004, 01:02 AM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Hey if the projects are what you want and you are ok with downtime and a potential decrease in value then I say go for it.

Right now you have $7.5 in your 968, you can buy a similar priced 951 and spend $10K changing things around before you catch up with what I have spent to buy, maintain and equip my 968 in the last year.

Good luck whatever route you choose!
Old 07-23-2004, 02:02 AM
flash968
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

agreed, best of luck - as many others, i contemplated much the same kind of swap - i've stuck a lot of motors into odd cars, including a blown 302 into a 944 - it's really a preference thing - god knows i make some decisions about mods to my car that are met with less than enthusiasm from a few here, but are emulated by many more others over there - step back listen to everything you can - look at some cars that are set up the way you want - then make a decision

bruce, raj - your pom poms are on the way
Old 07-23-2004, 10:07 AM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Bruce,

I do love a good crazy project, and just to give you an idea of the silly projects I take on, when I traded my 2nd 951 for my 3rd one, it wasn't a normal trade. We both wanted to keep the mechanicals off our cars, so it ended up being more or less a chasis swap because we swapped everything else over (well not the long block). We did it in three weekends and it was a lot of fun and one of the best learning experiences I could have gone through with these cars.

And as far as spending 10k on a modded 951, well I'm trying to do everything on a budget. If I did this I would try to do it in a way where very little money actually had to leave my pocket. My last 951 had 20k in changes, and I'm trying to avoid going overboard again.

Flash,

Any of these changes I make or don't make won't be done because the general 951 / 968 population thinks its a great idea. The swap would be for my own personal enjoyment, because again I feel the 951's motor is very much suited to me (all my friends make fun of me for the Turbo obsession).
Old 07-23-2004, 10:31 AM
flash968
Banned

i understand that one completely - feel free to do what you want - i've been slagged for a lot of what i'm doing to mine by those who would have me keep it stock as some kind of shrine or something - to me, it's a nice platform to start with, but needs redesign in a lot of areas

it's all good
Old 07-23-2004, 04:58 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Bruce, I have one myself and you know what the statement was aimed at .
The guy just amazes me. He forces himself into conversations, lol.
I get tired of correcting him but he doesn't get tired of mis-informing, go figure .
Raj
Old 07-23-2004, 08:48 PM
Phil Harrison
Addict
Rennlist Member

Smile

"As for MC Hammers side kick (Flash) unless you want to remove your bumper, know how much a body panel weighs or tune your old british roadster ignore his posts."

'scuse me, I nearly spilled my wine laughing...
Old 07-24-2004, 08:07 PM
flash968
Banned

production manager, not sidekick - i would have had to be black to have been a sidekick

if you want some "outside of the box" ways to get more from the car, like i've done, by discarding the erroneous concept that porsche thought of everything, or that there is nothing that can be done that hasn't already been done, then i might have something for you

if you're looking to follow blindly and without question through ownership, then i would be the wrong guy

in either case, only a fool listens to one side of an argument

Quick Reply: New 968 coming home this saturday.