968 Forum 1992-1995

cooling fan help

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 08:21 PM
gman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cooling fan help

I need help!! I have my first DE next week and my fan system is on the fritz. Usually the #1 low fan comes on when the temp gauge is at the 10 o'clock position. It usually stays on for a minute or so until the temp gauge is around the 8 o'clock position. What is happening now is the #2 high speed fan comes on for 3 SECONDS then shuts off for 5 SECONDS...then back on until the temp is at the 8 o'clock postion. The low speed fan still comes on with the AC on.

Do I need a new thermoswitch? The one in the radiator? Could it be something else? I need to fix this in the next 5 days !!! I need some help

Thanks in advance!!

Graham.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:34 PM
Miles968
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My guess is....
The thermoswitch on the radiator. I am pretty sure that it controls both the low and high speed fans. The upside is that they are relatively cheap, easy to replace, and even if it does not need to be replace now it will soon enough. I do not really see any downside to starting by replacing it first.

Good luck and I hope this helps
Old 06-29-2004, 11:43 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree with Miles, it would be a good start. Hopefully Trevor reads this as he has a very good understanding of this setup.
Raj
Old 06-30-2004, 12:02 AM
gman
Advanced

I fixed it!!! It was the terminals that connect to the two round fan resistors mounted on the passenger firewall. One of the four terminals was slightly corroded....apparently enough to cause the problem.

All set to go now. Thanks for your responses.

Take care,
Graham.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:58 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Where are these things. I gotta take a look at mine as well.
Raj
Old 06-30-2004, 09:10 AM
gman
Advanced

They are under the black plastic panel that covers the blower fan...under the hood. They are mounted under the passenger wiper shaft on the fire wall. They are two puck shaped porcelen/ceramic pieces with two wires connected to each.

G-
Old 06-30-2004, 10:02 AM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

Good job, guys!

I was going to reccommend a new radiator...just kidding!

Miles, thanks for all the comforting mental help while I was doing my conversion...my wife hasn't told me yet what it's going to cost!

Jason
Old 06-30-2004, 10:54 AM
Miles968
Rennlist Member

Hey Jason,
I have been lurking around the list and reading all the posts on your car. From what I have read it sounds like your car came out GREAT! I am glad I could help out. But like I said before the "Wife Bill" may actually be higher than the car! Good luck with that and enjoy the car!
Old 06-30-2004, 01:55 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup, when your cooling fans are cycling between high and low speeds the best bet is to check your fan resistors. It means that one of the resistors is not doing its job, so the other one must work double time. This overheats the other resistor and what you hear are the fans switching between low & high speed as the resistor gets too hot and then cools down, etc.

Good fix! Have fun at the track.

Quick Reply: cooling fan help