968 Forum 1992-1995

Why does OEM replacement radiator have a narrower core thickness

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2024, 10:29 AM
Brianb56
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why does OEM replacement radiator have a narrower core thickness

I just received a porsche replacement radiator and the core is much thinner - has anyone had experience with this revised design or knowledge of how well it works - it does fit perfect - Made in Australia - came in a Porsche box with sticker from a reliable source - part #951-106-031-07 - manual trans - thanks for your comments - B
Old 08-28-2024, 02:11 PM
pointofdeparture
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Never once heard of an OE Porsche part made in Australia. Do you have pictures? Where did you order from?

Last edited by pointofdeparture; 08-28-2024 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-28-2024, 06:45 PM
Brianb56
5th Gear

Default Pictures of labels- supplier us a Porsche - Audi dealer and. Radiator fits perfect -

Radiator is exact fit

Box label
Old 08-28-2024, 09:52 PM
chudson
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts

Let me first state that I am not a radiator design expert, but years ago we started seeing design changes on replacement radiators. When I inquired as to why they were different, I was told that they were (IIRC) “high efficiency single tube” units that would be as efficient as the former multiple tube designs. I wasn’t and still aren’t a big fan (a little old school here…) but don’t remember one causing us a problem. I suspect that P has abandoned their former and perhaps more $$$ vendor and had these “new and improved” units produced. Just a hunch.

Cliff
Old 08-28-2024, 10:36 PM
Brianb56
5th Gear

Default Update

Thank you ch and departure for your input as it helps adjust the thinking process - so I’m back to stock as of today - 83c thermostat — 92c/ 102c fan switch — new radiator ( I spoke to the Porsche vendor and am satisfied that this is indeed the OEM replacement , much lighter than the original - ran the car in the garage up to temp and no leaks now and fans come on sooner because the old fan switch was a 95/102c -the new is 6F cooler and that is a lot when the temp band is 83c to 92 c . I will update you on the actual test drive . So the a/c coils were very dirty and I suspect that had a lot to do with the low mph cooling issue along with a leaky radiator - I believe that collector cars that are not driven in long hard rain storms lose that A/C coil cleaning process and eventually are clogged with road grime , bugs ect - once again thanks b
Old Yesterday, 12:01 AM
Brianb56
5th Gear

Default Radiator replacement with OEM summary

road tested the OEM radiator replacement and have these comments - the core is thinner but the cooling seems appropriate - the fan frame fit fine however the radiator tabs are not proud of the frame so be cautious of flexing or cracking the fan frame - Clean the a/c coils very very well before installing the new radiator - with the new 83c thermostat and 92c/ 102c fan switch the system works like new - temp gauge stays steady around the center of the middle field , the low fan comes on at the exact temp 92c with gauge at top of middle field and cools the system back down extremely fast -
Old Yesterday, 09:47 PM
pointofdeparture
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Fascinating, thanks for the update. I wonder who the OEM is (sheer curiosity, I think most Behrs come out of South Africa)? But all’s well that ends well I suppose!

Probably going to do the Wizard when mine is due.
Old Today, 02:13 PM
Brianb56
5th Gear

Default Oem radiator cost and supplier info

So I did consider an after market radiator but my Indy pro recommended staying with oem to avoid painful fitment issues - the OEM fit perfect - My car is a collector not track car so keeping OEM was important - once I found the OEM for $600 from a Porsche dealer it sealed the decision - the oem is made by TITANX dsd distribution

Quick Reply: Why does OEM replacement radiator have a narrower core thickness