968 Forum 1992-1995

Tire questions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2024, 09:54 PM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Tire questions?

I just finished my third HPDE day at Laguna Seca. Even after only three sessions, I have qualified to fly solo. WEEE
After my second lap session I check my tire pressures. RR was at 32 lbs, all others were at 42. I borrowed an inflator and topped it up. Had two great laps sessions after.
That evening, when returning from dinner, RR was flat.
Like many of us, I run around with the OEM spare(unfortunately I have no inflator). Why I do not remove the spare and jack I do not know...

Long story short: I have a new FALKEN AZENIS RT615K+ on RR and three 1/2 worn HANKOOK VENTUS R-S4. These have 6,000 miles and two HPDE events on them.
I have another HPDE event in 10 days.
Should I just leave it as is? Should I replace the rear Hankook with a paired Falken? Replace all three Hankooks? Not sweat it?

All thoughts appreciated,

Yogii
AKA 968 Novice

Last edited by Yogii; 06-18-2024 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-18-2024, 10:10 PM
dlearl476
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 61 Posts

I would get a new Hankook. Discount Tire, where I get all my tire work done, wouldn’t even mount an oddball like that. I had a bit of a “discussion” about even mixing Vredestein Quatracs with Quatrac5s on my Smart. In the end, I bought one to match the one they replaced under their road hazard warranty. And it worked out for the best as, contrary to my assumption, Quatrac5s are actually the older design.

ps: No experience with Falken tires but I really love the Hankook V12 Evo IIs I run on the cab.

Quick Reply: Tire questions?