Help! Stupid mistake and need part asap

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2024, 12:09 AM
87nine5one
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help! Stupid mistake and need part asap

Hi all,

I made a stupid mistake while reinstalling my balance shaft belt on my 968, I grabbed the wrong sized head Allen bolt for the dumbass belt guide/guard rail that mounts at the base of the plastic housing below the crank, still no idea why this metal bracket is needed and would love to know the rationale seeing as this is twice now I’ve had issues with this part! The bolt I installed ended up hitting the big crank gear for the balance shaft belt, and when I turned the engine over I didn’t hear anything rubbing until I fired it up and heard a god aweful screeching sound coming from the front of the engine! Turns out it was the head of the regular size Allen bolt rubbing up against the crank gear! My question for you all is whether I can still utilize this gear if I smooth the damage so it’s rounded and not sharp since the damage is in the rear edge of the gear and the balance shaft belt is not as tight as the timing belt or as wide. Or does anyone have a spare for sale or know if one from a 944 would fit? I know visually the only difference is there are 4 bolts versus 8 on the 968 gear.

your insight and feedback on this issue is greatly appreciated!

Old 06-04-2024, 07:11 AM
931guru
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 259 Posts

The balance shaft driving gear from any 944 or 924S engine should work just fine.
Old 06-04-2024, 07:58 AM
87nine5one
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 931guru
The balance shaft driving gear from any 944 or 924S engine should work just fine.
thanks Guru, that’s what I hoping, the 4 bolt gears are a dime a dozen online. I have another from a spare motor but the surface the power steering pulley sits up against is messed up and I don’t trust it to be flat.

Is the chrome belt guide really necessary on the 968 engine? Seems like an unnecessary part seeing as the other motors like the 944 turbo do not have it. The one that was on the car when I got it was bent and chewing up the balance shaft belt, no idea how that piece got bent to begin with!

thanks again
Old 06-04-2024, 08:35 AM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 136 Posts

I have one of those, the 968 version has 8 holes for the belt pulley to mount....do not know why and do not know if the 4 hole all other version works with the 8 hole pulley....

Old 06-04-2024, 04:34 PM
87nine5one
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jsheiry
I have one of those, the 968 version has 8 holes for the belt pulley to mount....do not know why and do not know if the 4 hole all other version works with the 8 hole pulley....

thanks again! I really appreciate it and should the car back on the road by this weekend! I’m glad you had the correct version, I was concerned about whether I would need the 4 bolt pulley with the 4 bolt gear. I thought the 8v’s pulley is weighted to balance the crank since the 968 is balanced by the dual mass flywheel

Quick Reply: Help! Stupid mistake and need part asap