968 Forum 1992-1995

Headlight Cover Crack

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2023, 11:12 AM
Padhammer
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Headlight Cover Crack

Our headlight covers routinely crack at the attachment points.

I'm wondering how often these completely disintegrate - I can't find much chatter on the forum about this.

These are still available - should I stock up? Or. even though cracked, do these tend to stay together well enough to live with them?

Any ideas on a good on repairs from the back side - glueing?

Old 12-05-2023, 09:20 PM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 151 Posts

The piece that cracked on my car is the bucket that the headlight falls into. It does not bother me, much...
I know that the plastic used for the lower body trim, the one at the bottom of the door and front fender attachments underneath last much longer when a very specific produce is used.
I do not know about the headlight housing plastic. Also, not under much stress. Fill it, sand it, prime it, paint it, I would say.

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice
Old 12-05-2023, 09:32 PM
dlearl476
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Padhammer
Our headlight covers routinely crack at the attachment points.

I'm wondering how often these completely disintegrate - I can't find much chatter on the forum about this.

These are still available - should I stock up? Or. even though cracked, do these tend to stay together well enough to live with them?

Any ideas on a good on repairs from the back side - glueing?

If you want to send it to me, I’ll see if I can weld it. Or, you could get a kit and try it yourself. It isn’t rocket surgery. I think I’d back it with some SS screen.
https://www.polyvance.com/video/plas...with-plastifix

FWIW, I would not do both sides + sanding and painting on that crack like in the video. I’d do the back and after I’d filled the groove, put a small patch of SS screen over it and do another layer, Then when it’s all set up I’d just run some glue in the crack on the outside. If you’re careful with the glue and don’t smear the paint, It will be virtually imperceptible.

ps: I’ve been told that this is just super glue and baking soda, but I’ve never tested that hypothesis. IMO, the pin oiler applicator with the hole on the side is worth the cost of the kit. It comes in clear or black. I’d use black. Also, make sure you clean it very well, including the mating surfaces of the crack with denatured alcohol or acetone (the usual “test a small, hidden area” caveats apply) Any foreign dirt, grease, etc will weaken the bond.

Last edited by dlearl476; 12-05-2023 at 10:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by dlearl476:
Jay Wellwood (12-05-2023), Padhammer (12-17-2023)

Quick Reply: Headlight Cover Crack