968 Forum 1992-1995

Quick 968 M030 tire question....

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 10:13 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick 968 M030 tire question....

Anyone here w/a 968 M030, please look on the inside gasa cap (&/or manual) & tell me what Porsche says is the factory recommended tire pressure- my Turbo S says 36psi front & rear- other 944's are different- I just bought some 17" Cup 2's & some new Mich Pilot Sport PS2's- they feel very strange w/the 36psi- I used to have Dulop SP8000's on the Turbo S stock sizes- they NEVER had this prob, even when brand new, & I ran them at 35psi- The Sports are kind of squirmy- they feel like they're exhibiting a LOT of tire/sidewall roll- I find that hard to believe w/such a high-end tire, plus the fact that they are shorter profile than the Dunlops on my stock 16" wheels- I'm being told it is tread squirm b/c thay are new- again, never had this on any other tire- I'M starting to thikn the Sports need a little mre pressure than other tires I've had- their max pressure shows 51psi whereas the SP8000s were 40psi- I was just hoping someone could shed some light on what Porsche said was needed for the 17" wheels on the 968's....

Thanks a lot...
Old 05-25-2004, 10:38 AM
DC968
Intermediate

I just purchased a set of Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s as well and I can confirm you squirmy feeling description. While I have noticed the squirmy feel, they do keep sticking. I was coming off a set of winter tires, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I haven't had a chance to play with the pressures yet, but the Porsche recommendation is 36psi. I don't have M030, but I think that the psi recommendation for the 17" wheels is the same regardless.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:39 AM
flash968
Banned

porsche specced teh pressure based on the tires that were on the car when they made it - those tires no longer exist - that is just an average starting point

36 is a little high based on everybody i have talked to so far - try dropping a pound at a time - you will probably also find that the front will not be set quite the same as the rear - i am currently runing 33 rear and 33.5 front for hot street driving

a pound makes a huge difference in these cars - more so than any other car i've ever set up

advice - get a good guage if you don't already have one - the pencil guages are not very accurate - get a dial guage - motometer or something like that
Old 05-25-2004, 03:48 PM
mike_hammond
Instructor

Guys, I've had this on my CS when I recently fitted the Goodyear F1s, it is definately the new tires give it 500 or so miles and it will go and the car will feel tight again. A few burnouts helps

Mike
Old 05-26-2004, 12:39 AM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a '94 M030 car, and also a '92 non-M030 car with the 17" wheel option. Under the gas cap Porsche specifies 36 psi front and rear on both cars. I agree with the others who have suggested that you're experiencing new tire tread squirm. I'd be very surprised if it didn't go away before you hit the 1,000 mile mark. If it doesn't, then you could try adjusting the pressures in 1 lb. increments.
Old 05-26-2004, 01:01 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mike, Jim, etc- what pressure would you guy's recommend for the Pilot Sport PS2's then? On another thread, one guy said he's running almost 40psi in them- I'm up to 38psi & they feel a little better- is this too much? I'll give it a few hundred miles to get rid of the tread squirm, but, I STILL need to know what people are running on them- I've always ran 35psi all the way around on my car- just UNDER the 36psi factory recomendation for the original tires, &, they all seemed to work perfectly... Need to know if some of these higher end tires, like the Pilot Sports, S03's, etc , need a little more pressure than most others, or what...

Thanks
Old 05-26-2004, 07:54 AM
mike_hammond
Instructor

38 ? I'd be running much lower than that, one of our UK independants recommend 32 for normal road use. I'm running 32 up front and 34 on the rear at the moment and it seems to handle very nicely on the road and is exhibiting nice even tire wear. Someone commented on another thread that the 36PSI was Porsches coverall for a car full of Germans with luggage blasting down the Autobahns all day

For the time being I'd stick with your 35 all round until they settle down, they will come back on song don't worry. I was crapping myself when I first fitted mine as I thought I was going to be stuck with dudd tires.

Be patient

Mike

Quick Reply: Quick 968 M030 tire question....