968 Forum 1992-1995

Interior Dye

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2023, 06:14 PM
dlearl476
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Interior Dye

Has anyone ever used Classic Dye Products on a classic grey interior? They list a bunch of greys, but none under 968 or 944. In the appropriate years (90-95) they list 3 or 4 911 colors, but there’s no easy way (that I have found) to get in touch to find a match.

I’m guessing the tops of my door cards are either POR 935 Silver Grey, POR 949 Classic Grey, or POR 959 Raseberry , but I don’t want to make a $50 mistake by trusting an internet “color swatch.” Their “Classic Grey” looks way too dark.

Last edited by dlearl476; 06-30-2023 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-30-2023, 06:38 PM
931guru
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 276 Posts

zzz

Last edited by 931guru; 07-01-2023 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-30-2023, 10:16 PM
dlearl476
Racer

I’m a little hesitant to try a leather product even though they say vinyl, too. Especially on an area as prone to wear as the top of my door cards. I’d rather use something that’s specifically made for vinyl, like SEM Marine coat,etc.

In related news: what the procedure for removing the tweeter grill on the door card header? If I have to use an aerosol, I want to remove it first.

Last edited by dlearl476; 06-30-2023 at 10:59 PM.
Old 07-01-2023, 12:33 AM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

if you're referring to the one high up on the door card, there is a screw ring on the back side that secures the tweeter to the card. remove the door card, unscrew the ring and remove wires from terminals, comes right out.
The following users liked this post:
dlearl476 (07-01-2023)
Old 07-01-2023, 12:46 AM
dlearl476
Racer

Originally Posted by DSMblue
if you're referring to the one high up on the door card, there is a screw ring on the back side that secures the tweeter to the card. remove the door card, unscrew the ring and remove wires from terminals, comes right out.
Thanks. I was hoping to avoid removing the door card. Oh well.* Now I kind of wish I’d have ordered the aerosol.

I may have jumped the gun but I went ahead and ordered some dye, cleaner, and adhesion promoter from Classic Dye. I ordered Raseberry and Classic Grey and, hopefully I can mix a perfect shade to match the top of the card. (I noticed today when checking it out that the top of the cards are slightly darker grey than anything else in the interior. Af first I thought it may be sun damage, but it’s the same even on the bottom)

Someone on the 968 forum made an excellent suggestion and luckily I just pulled apart a grey interior from a Mercedes so I have plenty of test material to practice on before I do my door card.

* Now I guess I don’t have any excuse not to get in and clean and lube my door locks so the handles/central locking work as designed.

Last edited by dlearl476; 07-01-2023 at 12:50 AM.
Old 07-01-2023, 03:33 PM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by dlearl476
Thanks. I was hoping to avoid removing the door card. Oh well.* Now I kind of wish I’d have ordered the aerosol.

I may have jumped the gun but I went ahead and ordered some dye, cleaner, and adhesion promoter from Classic Dye. I ordered Raseberry and Classic Grey and, hopefully I can mix a perfect shade to match the top of the card. (I noticed today when checking it out that the top of the cards are slightly darker grey than anything else in the interior. Af first I thought it may be sun damage, but it’s the same even on the bottom)

Someone on the 968 forum made an excellent suggestion and luckily I just pulled apart a grey interior from a Mercedes so I have plenty of test material to practice on before I do my door card.

* Now I guess I don’t have any excuse not to get in and clean and lube my door locks so the handles/central locking work as designed.
Yes, the might as well while I am in there, attitude seems to keep extending the to do list on 25-30 year old cars.

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice
The following 2 users liked this post by Yogii:
dlearl476 (07-01-2023), DSMblue (07-01-2023)
Old 07-02-2023, 01:48 AM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by dlearl476

You can do it bu removing the screw that holds the window switch bezel onto the door card. Pull off, hanh it down. Reach in, and unscrew the back of the tweeter. I had to do that a couple months ago.
Old 07-02-2023, 12:02 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

Regarding interior dyes, I tried to use a product recommended in the 928 community several years ago on the front seats where they had experienced wear on the bolsters.

My experience was dismal at the very best. I followed the instructions to a 'T' in preparation and application. In the end, my results were akin to a spray on layer of material that could be peeled off. Not something that I thought was worthy in both appearance and wear. I ended up having the seats recovered.

To me, a dye is a fully penetrating liquid that dries leaving the substrate with a smear free surface that remains pliable and cannot be peeled off.

YMMV
Old 07-02-2023, 06:57 PM
dlearl476
Racer

Originally Posted by WolfeMacleod
You can do it bu removing the screw that holds the window switch bezel onto the door card. Pull off, hanh it down. Reach in, and unscrew the back of the tweeter. I had to do that a couple months ago.
I ordered the parts to fix my door handle, so I’m committed. I’ll pull them both off to paint.
Old 07-02-2023, 07:01 PM
dlearl476
Racer

Originally Posted by Jay Wellwood
Regarding interior dyes, I tried to use a product recommended in the 928 community several years ago on the front seats where they had experienced wear on the bolsters.

My experience was dismal at the very best. I followed the instructions to a 'T' in preparation and application. In the end, my results were akin to a spray on layer of material that could be peeled off. Not something that I thought was worthy in both appearance and wear. I ended up having the seats recovered.

To me, a dye is a fully penetrating liquid that dries leaving the substrate with a smear free surface that remains pliable and cannot be peeled off.

YMMV
That’s interesting Jay. I’ve heard from a lot of guys that had good results. Including this guy.

You can probably imagine what the “Before” picture of these 40 year old seats looked like. Then again, he sold the car soon after so he couldn’t speak to durability.

Anyway, the die is cast. If it doesn’t work out satisfactorily, I’ll take them to my upholstery guy and have them covered in vinyl.
Old 07-06-2023, 06:41 PM
dlearl476
Racer

Originally Posted by Jay Wellwood

YMMV
In my reading everyone recommended a water-based dye for that very reason. The non-water-based seals the surface and doesn’t allow the leather/vinyl to breath.
Old 07-07-2023, 12:38 PM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 141 Posts

Yes, this stuff is akin to spray paint for vinyl or leather and has no relation to the term dye in my dictionary. I have seen mixed results. The raspberry color is akin to what P calls Lite Grey (almost white) Bought some. I had a local upholstery guy recover the top section only with a vinyl that I sourced to match classic grey. He removed the weather strip at top, he removed the horizontal stich/seam that tucks the top layer under the horizontal bead, he did not remove the old material and covered with new and then a new horizontal stich to complete. The most difficult part was finding a shop with a machine that was able to sew through the thickness of the door card. Several shops could see the goals but bailed as admittedly their respective machines could not sew through the door card material. One guy was found who had such machine ability.
dlearl476 (07-07-2023)
Old 07-11-2023, 10:23 PM
dlearl476
Racer

Got the stuff yesterday. Here’s my test:
1: Raseberry
2: Classic Grey
3: 1:1 R/CG
4: 2:6 R/CG.

Heres 2 good coats: Top to Bottom: Classic Grey! 2:6 mix, Raseberry. We’ll see which matches the best when the rest of my door lock parts come in. I’m guessing the blend, but it wouldn’t surprise me if the CG matches the darker top of the door card. I applied it with a make up sponge, but when I get the cards off, I’m going to investigate spraying it with my airbrush.

I brought that handle home so I can do some torture testing/abuse once it’s dried for 12 hours. So far, it seems pretty durable. I scratched it with my fingernail as soon as it was flashed and none came off. (Indicating it may have soaked into the surface)
Old 07-12-2023, 04:26 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

Should be interesting! you might want to stick with the sponge for application to ensure it gets fully into all the minor crevices in the material.
Old 07-13-2023, 01:05 AM
dlearl476
Racer

I’ll definitely do some tests. I have plenty of bits from the car I just stripped. Might work out that I do like truck bed liner: spray on, dab as the dye is drying to create texture.

I gave my test handle some pretty good fingernail scrapes today. I had to really lay into it to create a mark. I’m happy with the durability so far.

Last edited by dlearl476; 07-13-2023 at 01:06 AM.
Jay Wellwood (07-13-2023)

Quick Reply: Interior Dye