968 Forum 1992-1995

Noisy front brakes at low speeds, periodically

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2023, 09:50 PM
mferris
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Noisy front brakes at low speeds, periodically

I'm still getting used to my 968 and likely overly sensitive on noises until I get more confidence in it.

The previous owner had the dealer put new brakes (OEM calipers/pads/master cylinder and rotors = $$$) on my car last summer as they were locked up after the car had sat for 10 years. I am just now starting to drive it more (maybe 300 miles so far), and harder - and today noticed a grinding sound from the front brakes (maybe right) at < 5mph coming to a stop. It happened maybe 10 times, was not pulling to either side (with no hands on wheels) but remained silent when applying brakes at higher speeds. I pulled over and looked for gouging on the rotors or metal - but everything looked fine. The rotors were not wet (i.e. had no been washed and rusted) - but this occurred for many stops so I would have expected the rust on the rotors to be removed pretty quickly anyway. =

Then it stopped happening. I may have done a few hard stops to see if something was lodged, but don't know.

I've driven maybe 20 miles since the noise locally and now the brakes are silent to a complete stop (maybe some slight squealing which is understandable).

The pads and rotors look okay - but wondering if these OEM brakes are prone to collecting rocks/materials and making grinding noises?
Old 02-20-2023, 10:31 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 143 Posts

OEM brakes are pretty much the best, most forgiving, work in all temps brakes you can get.

I wouldn't worry about it and continue to monitor. If it comes back, take the wheel off and inspect.
Old 02-20-2023, 11:12 AM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

The brakes are not prone to collecting rocks or other material since they 'ride' close to the rotor at all times. As Paul said, these brakes are an example of the best automotive braking systems out there today.

It is possible if the car sits for a long period of time that the pistons can seize up and the seals become degraded. This condition should have been remedied by the dealer when they refurbished the brakes. There is a 'silencer' that gets installed on the back of the pads that helps to eliminate any rattle/squeal that might come from the pads. From your description, it doesn't sound like they are MIA.

Its not uncommon for new pads and rotors to have a slight grinding noise until they get bedded in. Should go away with a little spirited driving and braking.
Old 02-20-2023, 01:01 PM
mferris
Rennlist Member

Thanks - it may be that they are not bedded in - I've probably driven it 300 miles since the refurbishment by the dealer and now that I'm more comfortable with the reliability of the car I'm driving it harder (and braking harder) so maybe they are just getting bedded in.

But dang - the more I drive this - the more I like the car - smooth, easy, plenty of torque, and really fun to shift. In many ways I like it more than my 992.... I wander what a 993 is like compared to the 968.
Old 02-20-2023, 06:13 PM
931guru
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 259 Posts

Your post made me chuckle... I was delivering a part to a shop today and one of his customers came in asking about replacing the front brakes on his Mercedes because they were squealing. The mechanic quoted him a rough cost and asked if he wanted the rear brakes done, too. The customer said, "No, when they squeal, we spray them with WD40 and it quiets down for awhile."

Forehead slap!
Old 02-20-2023, 09:51 PM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Yeah, I believe it is just bedding in. Sometimes it is the edges of the new brake pads that are the culprit. I love the EBC Reds!
OEM is supposed to be great too....

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice
Old 02-22-2023, 01:43 PM
mferris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Yogii
I love the EBC Reds!
OEM is supposed to be great too....
I have not looked but presume mine are new OEM pads from the dealer - I will say brake dust is a little extreme - but that might be b/c then are still at 300-ish miles.

Quick Reply: Noisy front brakes at low speeds, periodically