Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

LED Brake Lights, no cruise, and always lit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2023, 12:07 AM
mferris
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 138 Posts
Default LED Brake Lights, no cruise, and always lit?

I changed all my brake lights to LED, I did not put any resistors in, and expect that is why the Cruise no longer works.

But what I did not expect that the light bar, but not the rear lights, would alway stay dimly lit, whether the headlights are on or not.

Any thoughts?

I did not replace the turn single lights as they sped up too much without the resistors.

if there is a simple way to add a few number of resistors for all the lights thoughts appreciated.

Old 01-12-2023, 07:17 AM
chudson
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 73 Posts

I attempted to convert my track car to LED. It caused one of the rear lights to illuminate constantly so I reinstalled the incandescent bulbs. I haven’t researched why, but probably some reaction from the bulb check unit. I’m told that someone somewhere sells bulbs that won’t cause this, but I haven’t had time to chase. Maybe someone else knows or can comment. I hope this helps

Cliff
Old 01-12-2023, 10:16 AM
shinrai
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What did you do to the third brake light? Here’s a procedure that works…

https://rennlist.com/forums/968-foru...e-light-2.html

The original bulbs on the third brake light are a PITA to keep lit so best to go LED. The other brake lights are fine with standard bulbs so long as you keep the inside of the lenses dry.
The following users liked this post:
jsheiry (01-12-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 12:15 PM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 138 Posts

Shinrai, your write up is awesome and probably work for both coupes and convertible light fixtures. Saw your note at the end about the 15mm up vs 4mm also. I might also add that using red LED's may also help with the uniformity of the lighting in the red plastic. Plan to do a coupe light soon!
Old 01-12-2023, 12:30 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 757 Likes on 537 Posts

On the 928, things get real screwed up if you put an LED in the CHMSL, there is some rudimentary logic that is looking for resistance in that circuit and it affects other systems in the car. I don't know for sure that this is what's happening in this case but it may be worth investigating.

Good luck
Old 01-12-2023, 03:18 PM
mferris
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 138 Posts

I merely went to the local autoparts store and purchased the LED bulbs that had the base similar to what I had removed from various sockets. I did not solder new lights/resistors into the center light as the other post indicates - esp since I only have 4 lights.

All the lights work (obviously) - but I had read that the cruise control was dependent on the resistance to the brake lights (don't know if it was the center high mounted lights, the side lights or both).

I just can't imagine that there would be current always going to the center light as it appears to be happening.

I might just go back to normal bulbs. Although I am determined to stick with LEDs in the refurbished instrument cluster.
Old 01-12-2023, 03:21 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 757 Likes on 537 Posts

I'll take a look at the wiring diagram later this afternoon; that should help clarify if you can keep the LEDs in the brake lights, or what all might be on the same circuit.

Cheers

Quick Reply: LED Brake Lights, no cruise, and always lit?