Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Windshield Wiper Arm Bolt Stripped?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2022, 10:50 PM
Ufnavy06
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Windshield Wiper Arm Bolt Stripped?

So on the first leg of my road trip, my driver's side windshield wiper decided that it wanted to come off the windshield in some heavy rain. Basically, the wiper will go beyond the limits and off the driver's side of the car and against the side mirror. The motor is still working but I think the bolt the arm attaches to is stripped. I can freely move the wiper arm manually and it still tries to move if I turn the wiper on which is why I think it's stripped.

Ended up applying some fresh rainx so I could still drive. But that will only work on interstate speeds.

Anyone else have a similar issue (this wouldn't be a Porsche exclusive problem)? I see wiper arms on pelicanparts but not the bolt/post that it connects to so the motor can drive it. Anyone know that part number? Thanks!
Old 07-14-2022, 10:54 PM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 138 Posts

Many times the threads on the wiper motor assembly are good and the wiper arm/base itself strips. The wiper arm/base has groves in it and its aluminum/or alloy of sorts with a slight serrated or toothed design and they strip easily from not being tight or being stopped suddenly by something.
Old 07-14-2022, 11:35 PM
Ufnavy06
Racer

I figured it would be one of the two (bolt or arm). When I get to Ohio, I'll see if I can remove the arm and see which it is. The arm isn't expensive so that'd good. More of a nuisance than anything.
Old 07-15-2022, 03:14 AM
oz968
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

And just check that the bolt is indeed "snugged" down
Peter
Old 07-18-2022, 05:55 PM
Ufnavy06
Racer

So the question I have, is how do I remove the arm? Would the local car parts store be able to help me out with this?
Old 07-18-2022, 06:18 PM
JonT
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

... the wiper will go beyond the limits and off the driver's side of the car and against the side mirror. The motor is still working
Anyone else have a similar issue?
Yes exact same thing happened to me but it was only the nut having come loose, nothing stripped.
Has worked fine for years after tightening it back down and using the magic dab of paint thread locker.
If I recall it took a lot longer to find a thin wall socket to fit in there than it did to make the fix.
Jon

The following users liked this post:
Ufnavy06 (07-21-2022)

Quick Reply: Windshield Wiper Arm Bolt Stripped?