Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Removed protective body molding...

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2022, 02:11 AM
CPL55
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Removed protective body molding...

Yesterday I removed the protective strips on the sides of my car... (kind of like the cleaner/sleeker look without 'em, plus they were a little faded and scuffed and I couldn't restore them to the same lustor/depth that I could do with the body panels.)

The process is simple, of course—heat and dental floss or silicon scraper to pull them off, and once I scraped off the foam tape that was under them, there were some lines of greyish residue. I used Adam's scratch and swirl remover to get that off, worked like a charm.

I was very worried about removing this, in case the paint underneath didn't match the rest (in case the exposed paint had faded), or would get damaged when I removed it. It was completely fine. (The PO kept the car in the garage, so my paint probably had a little less risk of being faded.)

Just wanted to share my experience (and good outcome) in case anyone else is thinking of removing these strips, and worried about fading or paint damage. (Pic below... please ignore how dirty the car is, I haven't had a chance to detail it yet!)

The following 3 users liked this post by CPL55:
Jay Wellwood (06-30-2022), jsheiry (06-30-2022), royalschwarz (06-30-2022)
Old 06-30-2022, 10:05 AM
royalschwarz
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

These cars look so much nicer without the side molding. I get why they were put there. For a DD, I would definitely keep them but for a weekend car, take em off.
The following users liked this post:
CPL55 (06-30-2022)
Old 06-30-2022, 10:20 AM
chudson
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Thanks for this post. I need to remove them from my track car and had pondered how much effort would be required. Planning to decal / possibly wrap portions of the car and the moldings are in the way. Now as to my silver car, not so sure about removing those...

Cliff
CPL55 (07-01-2022)
Old 06-30-2022, 01:19 PM
CPL55
Rennlist Member

It was really easy, @chudson —much more so than I expected. Probably took me 30 minutes to remove all six pieces, including the time it took to remove all the adhesive and grime.
Old 06-30-2022, 07:21 PM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Great Job!

Can tell at all.

-Y
CPL55 (06-30-2022)
Old 07-01-2022, 09:48 AM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Looks so much better. One of the (many) previous owners had tried to remove the side moldings on my car but only got as far as the front left piece before damaging the paint. So one of the (many) subsequent owners stuck it back on. I'd love to remove them, but I fear it'll have to wait until I'm ready to get the whole car painted.

edit: Also, does that piece of blue tape indicate a new windshield? If so, and apologies for the thread hijack, can I ask where you located it?

Last edited by JimmyB; 07-01-2022 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-01-2022, 01:21 PM
CPL55
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JimmyB
Looks so much better. One of the (many) previous owners had tried to remove the side moldings on my car but only got as far as the front left piece before damaging the paint. So one of the (many) subsequent owners stuck it back on. I'd love to remove them, but I fear it'll have to wait until I'm ready to get the whole car painted.

edit: Also, does that piece of blue tape indicate a new windshield? If so, and apologies for the thread hijack, can I ask where you located it?
Hi @Jimmy B ,

Good catch, yes I had the windshield replaced... the glass replacement company I used just called the dealer and was able to get OEM glass in about 3 days.
JimmyB (07-02-2022)

Quick Reply: Removed protective body molding...