Getting the brake booster out of the firewall

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 01:18 AM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Getting the brake booster out of the firewall

Guys,

This is a post from a nice guy from 968.net whom I believe may be a Rennlister as well. Please help us find the answer. Thanks

"Well, I'm in the middle of replacing my brake booster and I'm having a hell of a time getting the old one out. I took out the master cylinder, undid the 3 nuts in the footwell that hold the adapter to the fire wall, disconnected the pushrod and removed the clevis, and took out the dip stick, and there doesn't seem to be nearly enough room to pull the booster forward enough to get the pushrod past the firewall. It just gets jammed against the intake manifold with the pushrod still inside the car. Am I missing something? The 968 workshop manual doesn't have anything about the booster and the 944 manual doesn't have any steps I haven't done (except something about a fuel line clip that doesn't seem to apply). "
Old 04-20-2004, 09:45 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

It might be the case where you will have to remove/move your intake manifold to get this piece out. Those dual resonance pieces are very bulky. The beauty is that its a piece of cake to do.
In order to get the manifold off, you will need to remove the Porsche script vanity cover, remove injector rail with injectors still in it. Remove fuel lines from rail (optional) and then undo the intake manifold. It is held by cheesehead bolts on the runner side and a couple of nuts on the bottom of the block. Keep as many connections intact as possible to save yourself the aggravation of trying to figure things out later.
Make sure you have a good idea of all the vacuum line routing. Also, disconnect the throttlebody to MAF hose to give you room to play with. You should be able to loosen the manifold enough so that you can move it out of the way.
Don't forget to order new intake manifold gaskets. Torque everything to spec and that should be it. Check all your hoses under your manifold to make sure they are all in excellent shape.
Regards.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:27 AM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Raj, I hope you do not mind, but I posted your helpful advice on 968.net.

Thanks
Old 04-20-2004, 11:36 AM
IceWater
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Bruce and Raj for the help. Bruce, I really appreciate you taking the time to cross post for me! I had stuck it in the 924/944/968 forum, banking on the scatter gun effect, but probably should have realized that there are some laser-beamers over here that would be helpful. Raj, I guess I'll dive into the manifold as soon as I can get my hands on new gaskets.

Thanks again,
Tom
Old 04-20-2004, 12:04 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Tom, you are very welsome. We did some extensive projects over this winter which pretty much had us tearing down 968 blocks down to pistons, rods and crank and then rebuilding it for turbo-charging.
The 16 valve conversion will be at Hershey this coming weekend and so far the results have been amazing. Due to the nature of the project, there was hardly anything left untouched in the cars. For that reason, I have some hands on experience that is very recent.
As stated, its is a piece of cake. Don't let all those connections fool you. Only vacuum line for you to worry about is the check valve and the Fuel pressure regulator. You will be surprised to see the amount of crud that develops over time in these manifolds and intake ports. You might want to clean them with some carb cleaner. Just be careful.
Bruce, the idea is to help people out and that is the reason most of us participate. I have no issues with you posting on 968.net. I was a big part of that place until it took its new form. I am still vey friendly with most folks there.
Regards.
Raj
Old 04-20-2004, 01:50 PM
IceWater
Instructor

Raj,

I was following your projects for a while and I don't think this is the first time your experiences have benefitted yours truly. As for the manifold, its really not the the difficulty that bothers me, just the time and PITA factor. I had the top of the engine apart before when my variocam failed. I'd love to see your car at Hershey, and was originally planning on attending, but the trip out that way I had originally planned has moved to May. I don't think I'd get the booster back in, clutch changed, and exhaust welded and reinstalled by this weekend anyway.

Thanks again, and I'll be sure to post here in the future.

Tom
Old 04-20-2004, 07:15 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Tom, you will be surprised how much one can get done in a few days. If you really want to make it to hershey, you still can. You can reuse your old gaskets for now and change them later.
I would love to see you there. My car will finally be completed after 5 months tonight. Tomorrow and wheel alignment and testing on the road and then some detailing before Hershey. I promised last year not to go through this again this year. Hopefully this will be the last time I will be pulling one of these.
Regards.
Raj
Old 04-20-2004, 11:31 PM
IceWater
Instructor

Raj, I appreciate the vote of confidence, but I think you overestimate my ability...both to get the work done that quickly and to resist happy hours!

I think I'll set my sights on next year when I can show up with a functioning window, door speakers, and an intact rocker panel. Stings to miss it by a few weeks, but I really need to catch up on some other obligations too.

Good luck tonight and tomorrow. I'm sure all your hard work, persistence, and patience will be well worth it. Light 'em up one time for me!

Tom

Quick Reply: Getting the brake booster out of the firewall