968 Forum 1992-1995

Bound to happen sooner or later

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2021, 01:49 PM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 151 Posts
Default Bound to happen sooner or later

Well my odometer stoped turning. At 90K miles not surprising. At first I thought it was just my trip odometer, but no, it is both of them.
FWIW-I have NEVER reset my trip odometer while I have been moving. Guess the old plastic just lasts so long?

Anyway, I assume that the entire instrument cluster needs to come out, at least part way? Is this an OEM part or are aftermarket replacements better?
While the dash is apart, do I have access to the windshield whipper intermittent thumb wheel switch? I have replacements for that.

TIA,

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice
Old 08-19-2021, 05:46 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Received 200 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Yogii
Well my odometer stoped turning. At 90K miles not surprising. At first I thought it was just my trip odometer, but no, it is both of them.
FWIW-I have NEVER reset my trip odometer while I have been moving. Guess the old plastic just lasts so long?

Anyway, I assume that the entire instrument cluster needs to come out, at least part way? Is this an OEM part or are aftermarket replacements better?
While the dash is apart, do I have access to the windshield whipper intermittent thumb wheel switch? I have replacements for that.

TIA,

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice
Can't say about the windshield wiper potentiometer, haven't looked at that. Yes, you will need to remove the whole instrument cluster, completely. On my 968, haven't had to do this, but I did same type repair on my 944 several years ago. There are multiple vendors, these are ones that I have used: https://www.odometergears.com/produc...e/968+92-95/86, and klaindustries.net.
Old 08-20-2021, 06:54 AM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

it isn't that hard to change the gears compared to a '44.

scooch the seat up and pull the battery leads the night before. hide the keys to avoid the air bag light. torx on the bag as recall.

the latches on the electrical plugs can be cumbersome as you are working by feel.

Old 08-20-2021, 08:40 AM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 757 Likes on 537 Posts

If there are any grounds back there that will be accessible while you have things apart, make sure you clean them well.

Good luck
Old 08-20-2021, 12:28 PM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 138 Posts

I pick my battles and find this job to be fiddly and hand to the experts....many do this themselves and I applaud ! I pull the gauge pack and hand over to Cory Shepherd at Specialty Gauge. He is an East Coast Guy but is very prompt and can do many things while in there.... improve light tunnels, get rid of sun faded gauge packs, polish clear plastic window etc.. etc.. www.specialtygauge.com West coast guys like North Hollywood Speedometer https://www.nhspeedometer.com/
The following users liked this post:
quick968 (08-20-2021)
Old 08-20-2021, 06:01 PM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the advise. Yes, this is not a job that I want to tackle. If you know of any Northern California guys that would be most helpful.
Before I tok delivery of my car, 3+ years ago, I had all the bulbs in the car replaced. So that part should be good to go....

-Yogii
Old 10-02-2021, 08:11 PM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Well, had the instument unit taken out and sent to a West Coast specialty shop for speedos. They fixed the gear and returned the unit.
Upon install, the tach would go crazy when the key was in the second position. Returned to speedo shop. Re-installed, same thing happened.
Mechanic "plugged in" his device, not sure what or where, and determined that the tach signal voltage was flucuating between 1.7 and 1.9 volts. He said there should be no voltage while key is in second position.
Anyway, learning to live with it. Hope it does not lead to bigger problems latter???

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice and learning all the time....

Quick Reply: Bound to happen sooner or later