968 Forum 1992-1995

Speedometer/ABS problem...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 04:48 PM
The Dave
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Speedometer/ABS problem...

Here's the story. Drove home from work and parked the car. Everything is working fine. Go out the next morning and as soon as I start the car I get the "!" warning light, the ABS warning light, and the speedometer is not working. I figure the problem has to correlate to both the ABS and the speedometer, but I haven't a clue what it could be. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2004, 05:09 PM
mike_hammond
Instructor

I don't know for sure but as a pure guess it sounds like an ABS sensor, I'm assuming that the ECU gets its road speed readings from one of them.

Might simply be a poor connection on one of them, certainly would be worth disconnecting each one and spraying the connectors with some light oil/contact cleaner (WD40 as we know it in the UK)

Mike
Old 03-11-2004, 05:35 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Dave, as Mike stated the ABS and speedo use the same sensor. This sensor is connected to the front steering knuckle and reads off the teeth on the spindle hub. I would start by removing and cleaning them.
Only other part can be is the ABS relay as that controls both these features as well.
Regards.
Raj
Old 03-18-2004, 09:13 AM
LCurrie
Intermediate

Did you find what was causing your problem? I have the same problem and the speedometer bench checked okay. Tech thought all signals going to the speedometer were checking normal.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:46 AM
The Dave
AutoX

Haven't had a chance to look into it yet, Larry. I plan on having a look at it Saturday morning. Will let you know.

If your signal is good and your speedo good, what else is left other than the connection?
Old 03-22-2004, 07:02 PM
jim944s2
Racer

I have had intermittent & often shutdown of my ABS since I bought my '89 S2. A mechanic friend of mine suggested cleaning the sensors, there is one on each hub (in slightly differnet positions front and rear). It's very-very easy, one allen head bold (4 or 5 mm?) and each sensor pulls right out, the magnetic sensor collects all sorts of metallic debris, -just clean the crap off. You probably want to clean them regardless of what your real problem is. I've driven my car 2 days now w/ no abs shutdown (fingers crossed).
One of my wifes pregnancy magazines which is lying on the toilet has the heading: 'Get your abs back!', -which has been an ecouragement and reminder to me to get this fixed!
Old 03-22-2004, 07:28 PM
mike_hammond
Instructor

It might also be worth checking the ABS relay in the fuse box is OK, clean connectors etc.... Also check the connectors on the rear of the speedo unit and the foil circuit membrane for poor connections.

Mike

Quick Reply: Speedometer/ABS problem...