Mechanical Clicking from Engine Belly

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 12:55 PM
bo968
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mechanical Clicking from Engine Belly

Hey Guys,

I have had a mechanical clicking/clacking noise from the belly of the engine for over a year now and have not been able to identify what it is. I had it taken to the official OPC and they upon listening thought soemthing in the clutch and would not be able to tell until they open her up.

To shorten this long story, I have since replaced the flywheel, and all the clutch components but still have the mechanical noise.

Oh and one more thing...when I had bought the car it had all the service records but shortly after I had realized whoever worked on it was no expert ...they had been driving around with the lower balance shaft pulley 180 degrees out off phase!

What could it be that is causing the noise? Do you think crankshaft end bearing? i.e. spun bearing maybe?

Thanks,

Bo
Old 03-08-2004, 09:25 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

The sounds made by bearing are more like knocking and its constant and dpendent on the engine speed. This does not sound like what you are experiencing.
Did they check the torque tube and cv shafts? When do you hear this noise? Check to see if the steering rack is bolted on tightly to the crossmember. Have the suspension pieces been checked?
Regards.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:14 AM
Tom Carson
Burning Brakes

run it with only the timing belt and see if the noise stops

someone else did this recently and turned out to be an alternator bearing
Old 03-09-2004, 01:05 AM
bo968
Intermediate

It is hard to describe the noise properly over the boards but I guess some may call the noise a knocking sound instead. I didn't mention that the noise is really only heard at idle and is rpm dependant but will go away at around 1200 rpm and above.

The torque tube and cv's weren't checked because I have been under the car while it was on a lift and running and the sound while slightly different did not change much with the clutch in or out. Wouldn't that have identified the torque tube?

I'm pretty confident it isn't the alternator or any auxillery type device but will make sure to check it as well as the power steering rack just in case.

Thanks guys will let you know!

Bo
Old 03-10-2004, 11:19 AM
bo968
Intermediate

okay, so getting closer...I think (hope)

checked per your suggestions and not the alternator and not the power steering rack.

Before I had replaced my DMF I had figured it was it because when I moved it back and forth by hand, w/ clutch in and out, it would make the sound I am hearing. It currently makes that sound when I move it by hand. Is it supposed to? I am pretty certain there in lies my problem...exactly what I am not sure yet.

Oh yeah and stupid me was so excited to get things back together that when I replaced the DMF last year I did not try to rotate it by hand to see if it still made the noise...idiot idiot (smack forehead hear)

Ciao and thanks
Old 03-11-2004, 12:04 PM
Tom Carson
Burning Brakes

and you removed the balance shaft belt?
Old 03-11-2004, 03:00 PM
bo968
Intermediate

No I haven't tried without the balance shaft belt...I wouldn't think the noise would transmit like that though if it were the balance shafts...but what the heck I'll give it a shot try everything before ripping into the engine.

Ciao and thanks,

Bo

Quick Reply: Mechanical Clicking from Engine Belly