Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

968 M490 stereo & interior questions....

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 07:35 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 968 M490 stereo & interior questions....

Does anyone here have a pic of &/OR know WHERE the factory amp is located in these cars? Is it under the hood OR inside the car somewhere, etc & how big is it? I THINK that some refer to this as a PRE-amp- (Fuba pre-amp?)- in any case- can anyone tell me anything about ANY amp or PRE-amp, etc that comes stock w/these cars..??

I don't think many people have ANY IDEA as to how many variations there were w/these cars from the first 924 to the last 968- the M490 changed several times & the speaker #'s are different from year to year & sometimes, the speaker itself was changed (& not JUST the #)- the later 968's w/M490 option had the little midrange 3.5" speaker, located out from under the armrest &, FORWARD, in the original 4x6 location of the original 944's- they put a new speaker grill there & the bottom edge of it is SLIGHTLY overlapped by the taller door pocket (map pocket) of the 968- not sure why they did it, but, it should be for better imaging- in any evet, does ANYONE here have ANY really good pics of these later door panels AND does anyone have a pic of the door BEHIND the panel, showing how this 3.5" was mounted? I'm wondering if it was the exact same 4x6 hole w/a small adapter used for the round speaker- I assume...? Long story as to why I'm asking this, but...

Thanks a lot....
Old 03-07-2004, 11:21 AM
sat968
Intermediate

Fuba refers to the amplifier for the antenna, located in the roof by the antenna IIRC.

My car also has the 490 option. IIRC the amps are under the seats. I haven't had my seats out yet, but I believe there is at leat one under the passenger seat.

I did have my doors apart a couple of weeks ago to install window express units. The speakers do not mount directly into the door. Rather there is a plastic box that attaches to the door in which the speakers are attached. Its covered by the same piece that creates the map pocket. If someone doesn't post a picture directly i'll pull off this piece and post a picture for you.

BTW, the plastic frame tends to break easily on one of its mounting points--at least both of mine were broken in the same place. I ended up usinig a 1" washer and a long screw to reattach the frame. (Repair of the frame does not seem easily accomplished.) If you have a rattle when you raise the music volume, this could easily be the cause.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:55 AM
Shamus
Rennlist Member

robby,

heres a picture of the panel with the map pocket removed

Old 03-08-2004, 01:52 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey guys- thanks for the help- I'm aware of all of this though- I'm specifically asking about the FRONT speaker- the midrange- look at Shamus' pic- the little square place- the midrange USED to go there ionj 951's, S2's, etc- there were SOME that eliminated the midrange (AND 3-way Xover) though for some STUPID reason- ask me how I know- actually, I nkow SEVERAL people who have had this- anyway, the later 968- starting in 94, w/the FULL M490 option (there was a partial M490 evidently) had the midrange located where hte 4x6 944NA speaker used to be- there is a little round speaker grill for it (# 944 645b577 00) & is slightly obscured by teh map pocket, but doesn't hurt sound- it's a little larger than the tweeter grill, obviously- THIS is the one I want to know about.... IF neither of you have it, then you got the partial M490 set up, OR, I guess it's POSSBILE that Sat968 has it underneath the armrest- doubtful, but.... Are you guy's familiar w/this at all? I'm asking, b/c, I want to add this speaker grill to my 968 panels & mount a 4" CDT (or similar) there & run them off 2 of the channels of my HU- I'm running the regular Infinity 6x8 components (that I have mounted under the armrest) & 6.5 Kappa coaxes (under the rear window) off a small 4-ch ADS PQ10 amp... I would STILL have 2 free channels on my HU, but, can't think of anything to run w/them- IF I had it to do over, I would probably mount a 6.5 component under the window w/a small 4" right beside it- cut the metal out & mount in a wooden plate- run the 4's off HU channels- then, a nice 5.25 component (OR better yet, IF I could find a shallow enough one- a 6.5) under the armrest w/tweeter up top AND a 4" where i'm talking about- w/it run off the HU- I can't imagine maxing out my system any better w/out buying more speakers & amps & can't imagine needing anymore, for myself anyway.... I DO like the 6x8's up front, but, they really don't go as low, freuquency-wise, as many nice 6.5's do... oh well- too many options... I don't have the $, time, or inclination I guess.... Thanks again for the help though, guys- IF I can do it w/out lot's sof trouble, I WOULD like to run a pr of 4's up there off my HU...

ALSO- if anyone here has a pic of the BACKSIDE of the plastic mounting frame, w/the wiring connected to the X-over, etc, ASSUMING it actually has the 3.5" midrange included, either IN the plastic frame OR forward in the original 4x6 location, please post one or send it to me somehow- I would love to see how they were supposed to be mounted- since I got a car w/a factory hacked version, I don't really know....
Old 03-08-2004, 05:55 AM
William Green
Instructor

Sorry don't have any pictures, but wondered if this diagram is of any help?

William
Old 03-08-2004, 09:34 AM
sat968
Intermediate

Shamus' picture does not represent what is in my car. (Mine is an early 94 wiith the 490 option FWIW.) I'll pull thte map pocket and take some pictures for you later today.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:34 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm not sure what everyone here has,mm but, I think everyone's confused- I'm going to try to post some pics to clarify...

William- I have that pic from the PET CD- you're looking at an earlier year though- that pic shows all teh optional speakers in one pic, so, it really does more harm than good for most people- if you look closely, there is NO grill shown for the 3.5"- in 94, there was, since it wasn't beside the 5.25...

Sat968- don't go through the trouble of pulling the pocket IF your's has the midrange in that plastic frame- I want to know how the 3.5" goes in LATER, 94 & 95, 968's- it is seperate from the under armrest- I don't think pulling the pocklet would help at all- it certainly wouldn't show the speaker I'm referring too- tol see the 3.5", you'd have to remove the door panel- IF your car is a 94 & has the full option.. Thanks a lot though....

So, ANYONE out there have any idea how the LATE M490 3.5" midrange is mounted? Is there an adapter or what? Any pics of this would be really cool- it HAS to be w/the whole door panel off though, otherwise, you wouldn't be able to see.... anyone?
Old 03-08-2004, 12:47 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Okay- here's a pic of the ORIGINAL M490 FRONT speakers- you can see BOTH speakers & the 3-way Xover- there is also a 3rd white circle that LOOKS like a 3rd speaker, but, is really just a round sticker...

Here is an early 968 panel- either has full M490 OR partial- no way of knowing w/out seeing behind the pocket- it COULD be missing the 3.5" mid & 3-way Xover, but...

Another early 968 panel- same thing- full M490 THREE front speakers, OR, partial M490 w/TWO...

One more...

Later 94 & 95 panels w/3.5" mid at FRONT of door, under window switches, in original 4x6 location- slightly obscured by the taller 968 map pocket.... THIS is what I need to find out about- how this speaker mounts- if the 968 hole in the metal door is the regular 4x6 shape, OR, if they recut it, etc- several things I'd like to know- I'd really like to see it, but, the panel would have to come off....THIS PANEL WOULD HAVE THE EXACT SAME SPEAKER SET-UP UNDERNEATH THE ARMREST THAT SHAMUS POSTED- the 3-way Xover is still on the backside of the plastic frame though- Shamus- do you have the 3.5" like this one?

Another one...

Of course, I GUESS I could do something like THIS...

Evidently, lots of 968s came w/the PARTIAL M490- notice how THIS one doesn't have the 3.5" mid, etc under the armrest, OR, up front.... ?

Anyway, this should explain things better - anyone able to help w/the newer style mounting???

Thanks a lot
Old 03-08-2004, 06:43 PM
sat968
Intermediate

I've never seen pictures of any door panel on a 968 other than what is shown in the black/cashmere picture. I have heard of reports that it did change, but I haven't seen anyone detail the differences. You might try over at 968.net as you'll get a different group of owners over there.

Quick Reply: 968 M490 stereo & interior questions....