Base coupe suspension improvements

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2020, 05:38 PM
Jayck
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Base coupe suspension improvements

Hey guys!
I have a 1995 base coupe w/o M030 option and looking to improve the suspension/stance of the car. It's anot a racing/track car but I just want to make it better handling while having a better stance.

I've read a lot about the M030. People doesn't seem to get along on if it's that good or not.

There's a lot of options out there with KONi, KW v3, etc...

I already bought the idea to buy the M030 sway bar conversion. Found a good deal on Lindsey Racing website.

But as far a strut, shock, coilovers... Id like your opinions on this one!

Found the KW clubsport coilover kit interesting but they are good damn expensive.

What's best bang for the buck for smooth, yet sporty ride for a hard driven road car ?!

Thanks
Old 03-01-2020, 05:54 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Jayck
Hey guys!
I have a 1995 base coupe w/o M030 option and looking to improve the suspension/stance of the car. It's anot a racing/track car but I just want to make it better handling while having a better stance.

I've read a lot about the M030. People doesn't seem to get along on if it's that good or not.

There's a lot of options out there with KONi, KW v3, etc...

I already bought the idea to buy the M030 sway bar conversion. Found a good deal on Lindsey Racing website.

But as far a strut, shock, coilovers... Id like your opinions on this one!

Found the KW clubsport coilover kit interesting but they are good damn expensive.

What's best bang for the buck for smooth, yet sporty ride for a hard driven road car ?!

Thanks
Opinions will vary greatly as far as what your tolerance level for relative ability to absorb bumps, expansion joints, etc. A good first step is to ensure that all bushings, etc. in stock suspension are in good shape. It can be amazing the difference that makes in handling, etc. As far as coilovers go, that would involve removing torsion bars, so definitely more involved in the amount of mechanical work required. For stance, you can reindex the torsion bars and get a drop in rear ride height. If it was me, I would think about either going Koni or Bilstein sport, and leaving stock springs intact.
The following users liked this post:
Jayck (03-01-2020)
Old 03-01-2020, 06:01 PM
Jayck
Intermediate

Yeah I intend to look/replace all bushings that need to. And yes, I expect that it will greatly help the handling but not the stance.
I don't know if it's me but I love the 968CS stance compared to the base coupe. What are the differences between them?
Old 03-01-2020, 06:10 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Yeah I intend to look/replace all bushings that need to. And yes, I expect that it will greatly help the handling but not the stance.
I don't know if it's me but I love the 968CS stance compared to the base coupe. What are the differences between them?
Not sure, but I think CS may have the M030 suspension. Jeff Coe would certainly know the answer to that question. When you make stance changes, also consider if you are changing wheel/tire combos how that may affect clearancing on inside of fender wells.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:09 PM
chudson
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 76 Posts

There are a lot of ways you can go. Upgrading all of the old rubber is never a bad idea, but to touch all of it involves a lot of work. As for a really good shock and spring upgrade that’s still streetable, consider the Koni coil overs with 400 lb front springs and 600 lb rear if you remove the torsion bars; 350 lb on the rear of you choose to leave them in. The 968 can be lowered to ROW height in the rear with the factory adjusters and the Koni coil over conversion allows you to then drop the front to match. Call Jason at Paragon Porsche. He can walk you through it. I hope this helps.

Cliff
The following users liked this post:
Jayck (03-01-2020)
Old 03-01-2020, 07:39 PM
Jayck
Intermediate

That's something else I've seen. Why would I remove the torsion bar? I mean this in a way that I don't know the purpose of this?
Old 03-01-2020, 08:37 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

That's something else I've seen. Why would I remove the torsion bar? I mean this in a way that I don't know the purpose of this?
The torsion bar acts as the spring for the rear suspension. If you use the coilovers in the rear as Cliff said, the torsion bar is no longer needed.
Old 03-02-2020, 11:50 PM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 154 Posts

First thing would be to go to 17 inch wheels. Sway bars like you said. Do you really want to lower the car???
Koni's, Bilsteins all good places to start.

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice
Old 03-03-2020, 06:22 AM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by DSMblue
Not sure, but I think CS may have the M030 suspension. Jeff Coe would certainly know the answer to that question. When you make stance changes, also consider if you are changing wheel/tire combos how that may affect clearancing on inside of fender wells.
Nice one Jayck. Changes you're thinking will definitely improve handling and I found it delivers more confidence too. Standard CS set up did not come as M030. It was all about lightness, and if I am correct I think very slightly lowered. Standard suspension setup. M030 was the upgrade option and covered stiffer springs, adjustable Koni dampers, stiffer anti roll bars, cross drilled 304mm brake discs with callipers and an option (M220) of the 40% Torsen (Torsion Sensing) LSD. The best thing I did with my Sport is go the adj Koni route, (bigger (original) front and rear M030 ARB's were fitted already) plus all bushes were replaced with SuperPro poily's. Full geo reset too. With sticky tyres the whole car was transformed with bigger grins. Thought about other damper/sprint routes but a couple of UK championship 944 racers I got in touch with have stuck to the adj Koni's and love them (good enough for Richard Attwood to race 944's with so plenty enough for me). Good luck and would be interested which route you go.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:18 AM
968ClubSport
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Indeed LM964, as standard the CS was 'only' lowered by 2 centimeters (and was of course put on a lightweight diet), but the CS didn't receive the M030 package as standard. My CS has got the M030 sway bars (and brakes), but currently features a KWV3 suspension. Expensive yes, but it can be fully adjusted to your wishes. My current set-up is rather harsh, but I do only use it for sporty runs in the Ardennes or Eifel region. Would opt for a more soft approach if I were to use it every day (I have a GT86 for that, which seems as comfortable as a limo in comparison).
Old 03-03-2020, 08:44 AM
Jayck
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LM964
Changes you're thinking will definitely improve handling and I found it delivers more confidence too. Standard CS set up did not come as M030. It was all about lightness, and if I am correct I think very slightly lowered. Standard suspension setup.

The best thing I did with my Sport is go the adj Koni route, (bigger (original) front and rear M030 ARB's were fitted already) plus all bushes were replaced with SuperPro poily's. Full geo reset too.
Thanks everyone I appreciate!

If the CS had standard suspension, how was it lowered around 2cm like everyone says?
I mean I wouldn't mind keep the current suspension if I'm able to just drop it a notch and ad M030 ARB for the handling.

But right now I'm more debating myself if Id go full coilover or coil upfront and bigger t-bar in the back.

By the way I already have a 17" wheel setup (cup2 actually)

Here's my car btw!😁

Old 03-03-2020, 10:36 AM
968ClubSport
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Lovely car! Red suits a 968 well. If I remember correctly, the CS had shorter springs.
Old 03-03-2020, 06:51 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

great looking ride...

CS front springs are shorter but the same rate. the price isn't too bad but you might wait a bit for the boat to come over.

from that angle, your car looks level like the ROW cars. there is a bumper height thing in the states. if you keep the stock front springs, leveling the car should be within the spring plate adjusters range. if you opt for the cs springs, you may need to re-index the rear bars.

if you drive your car on public roads that aren't paved very well, a stiffer suspension can be a handful. replacing ALL the old rubber bits with new can transform pitching and chunking your way through a corner to a state of nirvana. its nice to be able to feel what the car was like new. imho, new spring plate bushings is a must to accurately squeeze the go pedal through the apex.

the gt86/br zed is the coolest thing out of japan since the fairlady/240.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:07 PM
Jayck
Intermediate

Originally Posted by thomasmryan
great looking ride...

CS front springs are shorter but the same rate.

from that angle, your car looks level like the ROW cars.
Thanks for the info.
What do you meant by "ROW" cars? Sorry for my ignorance!

Here's another picture from the front! I feel like dropping 1"-1.5" up front would change everything in terms of looks.
I also bought a front bumper splitter CS style that will help in that department too!

Old 03-03-2020, 08:09 PM
Eyeman
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Rest of World. I agree our cars do have a good bit of tire to fender gap. But if you lower it you'll rub some speed bumps, etc.

Quick Reply: Base coupe suspension improvements