Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Clutch slipping

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 11:07 AM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

As another, bit more expensive but somewhat foolproof, option - European Performance on Hillsborough St. installed a new clutch for me last summer for a little over $900. Dropped it off in the morning and picked it up that afternoon.

As for a clutch/BBQ party - I'm up for it but am obviously a clutch virgin myself. Got the BBQ part down pat thought

And speaking of Hillsborough St, I think we passed each other in front of NC State the other day - unless there is another Amazon coupe in Raleigh.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:16 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Bruce, did you balance your flywheel when you did this? jk, lol.
Raj
Old 03-26-2005, 12:44 AM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Um well, based on bad advice I did remove it. Then I took it to a few places that balance single mass flywheels but laughed at me for wanting to balance a dual mass flywheel.

I searched extensively for parts and suppliers and places to balance the flywheel. The only place I found that would balance the flywheel is http://www.specclutch.com but only when purchasing a clutch from them.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:03 AM
sat968
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ralph,

No it wasn't me by State. Last I knew, there were three Amazon Green 968's in Raleigh. Its easy to spot me, just look at my license plate-- 968 in roman numerals.

I've put the order in for parts with Sunset. Hopefully will have them next week some time.

Ralph, do you remember how many hours European billed you for the clutch? I've used European in the past, and have even seen other 968s there. Seeing as I live way up in North Raleigh and work in the park, they are difficult to get to.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:21 PM
sayporsha
Pro

My 95 Cab did the same thing a couple of days ago. I just got a G-Tech and wanted to try out the 0-60 time feature. On the first launch the clutch started slipping as if the car were in neutral. Kind of scary. However, I could not reproduce the slippage in the 8 or 10 subsequent launches. The clutch is working fine, but smelled up my garage for a day or 2. It was replaced about 25k miles ago, and I do not plan on changing it. Here's why:

I experienced the same thing the first time I tried a really hard launch in my 951. It never occurred again through MANY subsequent hard launches. I recently replaced the clutch in that car - about 25,000 hard miles after "the incident," and it was still in decent shape.

Clutches get glazed over with use. I believe what I experienced was a rapid de-glazing of the clutch friction surface. Now, if it does it again or I see shreds (like on Bruce's car) I'll start getting the parts together for a clutch replacement. But for now I'll wait and see.

Old 04-02-2005, 03:19 AM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did drive mine until it was no longer willing to clutch. All of my weight was not sufficient to push the pedal!
Old 04-02-2005, 09:17 AM
TurboCab
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a lightweight single mass flywheel for sale. It is new. Price $700.
Attached Images   
Old 04-02-2005, 10:32 AM
sat968
Intermediate

I have hade the slippage on a couple of ocassions after the first time. What I have seen is that the clutch is now starting to shudder when warm. I have been told that this couldalso be either the DMF failing or oil leaking from the real main seal. I would not expect the DMF as my car only has about 45K miles. Also, any oil leaking would have to be very minor as I have never seen any oil spots under the car.

I plan on taking the cover off this weekend just to have a look. I know I won't see any DMF problems, but I should be able to see if any oil has been in the clutch area.
Old 04-02-2005, 11:19 AM
flash968
Banned

i want to start off by saying i am not trying to start an argument

it wasn't bad advice, whether you ended up taking it or not - i don't know why they laughed at you either - both the balancing and surfacing can be done - raj even showed us a picture of his balanced dual mass flywheel, and clearly not all of them come that way - both mine and joe's were from the factory and unbalanced, hence the recommendation to have it checked - also, it would have given you a chance to do the rebound test on the rubber dampener and i'm not sure, but i think you need to remove the flywheel to change the pilot too (also both things that should be done while you're in there) - so, i don't think any of it was bad advice, even though you ended up with an acceptable situation without surfacing or balancing - something to think about though - any amount of energy being absorbed by the dampener in the flywheel is energy not being transmitted to the wheels - balancing would eliminate that dampening loss, and allow the energy to go to the wheels - as a racer, i would think this would be very important to you

again, i'm not trying to start an argument - i'm sorry you had such a tough time and don't have anybody there who was competent to do the job - there are people out here who do it, and i presumed the same would be the case there

Last edited by flash968; 04-02-2005 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:06 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Flash, I thought you were smarter than that but I guess not. The fact that some have the balance weights and others don't clearly proves that they are all balanced from the factory. If there is no weight on one, it means it was already balanced within factory spec for them not to add any weight.
Your advice was bad and it does not apply to DMF's. It may apply to aftermarket light weight single mass flywheels but does not apply to DMFs.
As far as you not wanting to try to start arguement, funny how some people behave so nicely on one website yet rant and rave all day long on another. A little spanking I guess keeps you in check.
Raj
Old 04-02-2005, 01:54 PM
flash968
Banned

and here we go - somehow i knew you would pipe up with a partial response

the fact that one had it and one didn't only supports the idea that they SHOULD all be balanced - it does not prove that they all WERE balanced - checking it is still a good idea, and the cost is extremely minimal, and certainly better to find out that it is fine rather than put it together and find out it is not - for the other reasons also listed (rebound check, surface check, pilot, rear seal check), it was therefore NOT bad advice, and was offered in the spirit of trying to get the best results - i lean toward prudence and caution when doing clutches, having made the mistake in the past of second guessing myself, and resultantly being forced to do it over because i was too cheap to go the extra step and do it right the first time

by the way - i have not been spanked - that was a misunderstanding that has since been worked out
Old 04-02-2005, 02:46 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Your experience was based on a non factory aftermarket single piece flywheel. For you to use that as an example and apply it to DMF's is silly. Lets give advice based on apples to apples, not apples to oranges.
I don't know anyone who has had a balance problem with a DMF. Porsche balances them at the factory. Th numerous pictures of 4 different DMF's prove my point.
Its okay, I don't expect anything different from you. Atleast people should know.
Raj
Old 04-02-2005, 03:32 PM
flash968
Banned

i'm not sure what experience to which you are referring - this has absolutely nothing to do with my aftermarket flywheel - i am not comparing that to anything - i'm not even talking about that

to be clear, neither my factory flywheel, nor joe's were balanced - yours was - you say 4 were - that's fine - that only says that some are, and some are not - that also only shows that this was the case when they were NEW - that does nothing whatsoever in the way of saying they still are balanced at the time of repair - checking is still a good idea - you also fail to acknowlegde the advantage or wisdom of checking the other things at the same time - the $40 is money well spent, even if everything is fine - it's a lot better than putting it back together to find out the dampener was weak, the surface should have been done, or the seal or pilot should have been changed

a "problem" is not what i am talking about - potential power loss is - any vibration or anomoly absorbed by the DMF is power that is not transmitted to the wheels - the DMF, in doing its job of absorbing such things, is robbing you of power, however small - why not just relieve it from having to do that job in the first place? doesn't it already have enough to do just quieting down the transaxle? at the same time you get the peace of mind of knowing that everything in there is up to snuff - all for $40

i don't see how this is bad advice

Last edited by flash968; 04-02-2005 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-02-2005, 05:19 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Obviously you don't see it as bad advice. You gave it.
Its the person that took it is who called it bad advice. I think based on his experience, he has a right to call it whatever he feels.
Raj
Old 04-02-2005, 05:34 PM
flash968
Banned

after careful consideration, i don't think many people would agree with the decision, but yes, in the end he is entitled to think what he wants - i've said my peace on the subject, and will continue to recommend the inspection as prudent and wise

this is the thanks i get for trying to help somebody out and trying to help them avoid a mistake i had made, for which i paid the price by getting to do the job twice - it's no like i had anything to gain by making the recommendation - oh well - no good deed goes unpunished

Quick Reply: Clutch slipping