968 Forum 1992-1995

Classic gray sunburned door panels returned to like new condition for sale

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 03:21 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by royalschwarz
I've had great success with SEM color coat to dye interior panels. If done correctly, you don't lose the texture of the vinyl/leather as it's more of a dye and not necessarily a paint. Put next to factory panels, you can't tell the difference between SEM coated ones and OG. As well, it doesn't wear off like paint can. But the biggest problem may be finding it in a close enough shade that matches factory grey. If nothing else, dying the entire interior will alleviate any noticeable color differentiation.
Agreed, and I used an adhesion promoter as well. You also have to make sure everything is clean.
The following 2 users liked this post by jeff968:
royalschwarz (09-11-2019), spark1 (09-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 11:48 PM
spark1
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff968
Classic grey is a great color. I had a 968 with classic grey. But the sun does nasty things to it. I have seen the upper panels start to develop small holes as it deteriorates. But my classic grey dash was always perfect.

I looked at three different 968's over the last four months with classic grey interiors. All three spent most of their life in California and the top of the door cards were really bad. Two had perfect dashes. Windshields have much better UV protection, similar to duel pane windows in homes with low e coating, than side windows.

Quick Reply: Classic gray sunburned door panels returned to like new condition for sale