Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Can an electric seat switch be replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 07:00 AM
koirra
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can an electric seat switch be replaced?

I gave a lift to a retard who somehow managed to break a switch off from my seats. I don't know how he did it, but the internals are broken... and I am just so mad.

I've got the 12 way electric seats on my -92 and would really like to get them work.

Has anyone else had to replace the switches? or would there be a way of repairing it somehow.
I tried to open the switch yesterday but didn't actually get the it off as the cables to it was very short and didn't wan't to break the whole assembly. Do the switches even come off separately?
I cannot find them sold anywhere or even from the PET as separate items.

Help/ideas/experiences appreciated.

Erkki
Old 02-16-2004, 08:24 AM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

Don't know about the 968 switches - but the 928 seat switches are available seperately. Some of us have rebulit them when they stop working - sounds as though yours is beyond repair.

Might try getting a digital pic and post it to see if they are compatible.

hth-

Old 02-16-2004, 10:57 AM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure if you have the seat out or not, but replacing the switch is going to be much easier with the seat out of the car. You need a 6mm allen (internal hex) socket and a long nine inch or longer extension to remove the six bolts that hold the seat down. Make sure the allen socket is fully seated to avoid stripping the bolt, I tapped mine in with a mallet. You need to move the seat forward and backward to gain access to them, this may be difficult depending on what part of the switch is broken, perhaps a u joint and two or more extensions could be used. Once the bolts are out remove the wiring connector from the bottom of the seat and you can lift it out of the car.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:19 PM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The best person I know of for seat parts is Southbound Motor Trimmers. They know every little component in the seats and normally have most spares from used seats as well. Do a google search and you will find their number. They are not easy to get through to as the phone is often permanently engaged, and I dont know if they do mail order either, but they will at least be able to give you the part number if you dont want to go down there, then you can order it from a main dealer.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:45 PM
koirra
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a lot for your help guys.

Nick, I called the Southbound Motor Trimmers and they were very helpful and would have the part for £60+vat.
As I will need some other bits as well, like the hinge for center storage compartment and a highbeam/foglight I will see if I can get some of these in good order second hand or where I can get the best deal for the lot.

Jay, Southbound Motor Trimmers said Porsche would have had the same switch from -85 all the way -98!!!!

Bruce, thanks for instructions for getting the seat off. I hear that is worth doing when replacing these bits.

By the way. anyone have an extra worn out bit?? the plastics inside will still quite likely be good.

Cheers,

Erkki
Old 02-17-2004, 07:24 AM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

That is good news then about the seat switches being the same.

928 International stocks alot of 928 parts which if common to the 968 would be useful for you guys - they also dismantle 928's which means there are alot of used parts available - like seat switches. These guys are stand up guys who know what their doing.

Give 'em a call!

Old 02-17-2004, 01:55 PM
Mike in CO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have repaired the switches on my seat, and although it was a pain, it worked.

My problem was electrical - the contacts weren't making good contact anymore. I cleaned them up.

If your problem is mechanical (i.e. physically broken parts), then replacement may be your only option.

Quick Reply: Can an electric seat switch be replaced?