Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Checking cam timing

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 10:24 PM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie
Jerry, when you get the cams timed and variocam working you are really going to love the performance. Without the spring I assume you have not ever experienced the variocam working. I need to do the cam timing and check my variocam. I had a 968 years ago and I believe it had much better pick up than my current 968. When I put my engine together I just set the cam timing in the middle not having the tools to do it properly.
Thanks Charlie. I am looking foreword to having this car running correctly. It hasn't in the three years I've owned it. HOPEFULLY this will fix the issues I've been having.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:11 AM
ste1999
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Hey thanks so much for this thread, will be putting the cams back in my 968 soon and will make a base like you described! One question. The Porsche workshop manual suggests a bent stem dial gauge extension is needed. Is a standard mag based gauge with straight probe suitable for use with your base?

Steve
Old 06-01-2019, 09:32 AM
Boeing 717

Originally Posted by ste1999
Hey thanks so much for this thread, will be putting the cams back in my 968 soon and will make a base like you described! One question. The Porsche workshop manual suggests a bent stem dial gauge extension is needed. Is a standard mag based gauge with straight probe suitable for use with your base?

Steve
I'm not sure if you could use a straight probe, maybe you could make it work but I doubt it. There's very little room for the probe to sit on the
Lifter and you need to come in at an angle or your probe would probably be hitting the cam lobe while it's turning.

I got this one.
https://www.928gt.com/ps-26013-30-to...ion-85-95.aspx
Old 06-01-2019, 10:03 AM
ste1999
Instructor

Thanks so much for the input I’ll get one. I’m trying to work out in my head how linear movement of the lifter is converted to movement on the dial stem accurately going around an angle. Guess it will be clearer when I play with the tools!

Steve
Old 06-01-2019, 10:57 AM
Boeing 717

Thanks so much for the input I’ll get one. I’m trying to work out in my head how linear movement of the lifter is converted to movement on the dial stem accurately going around an angle. Guess it will be clearer when I play with the tools!

Steve
You have to make sure the vertical part of the probe is lined up with the vertical movement of the valve stem.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:50 PM
ste1999
Instructor

Originally Posted by Boeing 717
You have to make sure the vertical part of the probe is lined up with the vertical movement of the valve stem.
OK thanks will do!
Old 06-01-2019, 03:20 PM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Jerry, why don't you do us a video? It would be nice to have a 968 timing video for others to follow.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:32 PM
Boeing 717

Originally Posted by Charlie
Hey Jerry, why don't you do us a video? It would be nice to have a 968 timing video for others to follow.
I haven't even done the timing yet myself. I'm learning as I go. But I will try and record it. It doesn't seem too difficult. Lord knows we need more 968 diy stuff. You type anything in YouTube or even google and it's like 98% 944 related.

Last edited by Boeing 717; 06-01-2019 at 11:12 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 01:04 AM
ste1999
Instructor

Agreed on that one. 968 somehow gets translated into 944 even though there are often big differences. Then it’s a game of guess if it’s the same. If you get even a still photo of the gauge set up it would be wonderful to see it! I’m going to put my refurbished head on in a few weeks time after a vacation and am getting close to belt gear and cam reassembly. Finalising the rather lengthy parts collection as we speak
Old 06-04-2019, 11:30 AM
spanky
Rennlist Member

Received 686 Likes on 475 Posts

Agreed on that one. 968 somehow gets translated into 944 even though there are often big differences. Then it’s a game of guess if it’s the same. If you get even a still photo of the gauge set up it would be wonderful to see it! I’m going to put my refurbished head on in a few weeks time after a vacation and am getting close to belt gear and cam reassembly. Finalising the rather lengthy parts collection as we speak
I just goggled the Clarks 944/951/968 web site. and its still up and operational. Dean 924 has kept it up and is maintaining it by updating it on a regular time frame. This is a good source for reqd info.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:31 PM
Boeing 717

Can you guys answer a couple questions for me?

1) When I reinstall the cams is it ok for the engine to be at top dead center instead of the 45 degrees before TDC like the manual states??

2) what's the best way to apply the loctite 574 to the saddle? Do I put it on the saddle and the engine case or just the saddle? Do I make a bead or do I spread it on like a thin film over the whole peice?

3) I did some trial runs today installing the cam shaft seal and that black cam hole cover. The manual says to install after the saddle has been tightened down. Can I do that without the special tools? If so what's the best way? I reinstalled the old ones for practice and honestly I could just press them in with my fingers. Or should I use a socket to press them in?

4) anyone have a picture of the coat hanger wire used to squeeze the chain tensioner together when your reinstalling the cams?
Attached Images     
Old 06-04-2019, 04:15 PM
michaelmount123
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Boeing 717
Can you guys answer a couple questions for me?

1) When I reinstall the cams is it ok for the engine to be at top dead center instead of the 45 degrees before TDC like the manual states??

2) what's the best way to apply the loctite 574 to the saddle? Do I put it on the saddle and the engine case or just the saddle? Do I make a bead or do I spread it on like a thin film over the whole peice?

3) I did some trial runs today installing the cam shaft seal and that black cam hole cover. The manual says to install after the saddle has been tightened down. Can I do that without the special tools? If so what's the best way? I reinstalled the old ones for practice and honestly I could just press them in with my fingers. Or should I use a socket to press them in?

4) anyone have a picture of the coat hanger wire used to squeeze the chain tensioner together when your reinstalling the cams?
1. The reason to have the engine at (anywhere around) 45 deg. BTDC is so the pistons are down in the bore. You want them down so there's no chance of any valves hitting the piston when installing the cams prior to finalizing your cam timing. Install the cams in the position shown in the factory manual, then slowly turn the crank (and pistons) up to TDC without the belt attached to the cam. Once there, attach the belt and follow the factory procedure.
2. There's no need to coat both surfaces with 574. Just do the cam cap(s).
3. It's a little easier to install the seal and black cap before your caps are torqued. Just make sure they are all the way in place before you torque. No need for any tool if done this way.
4. It's Porsche tool 9530, and yes, you can make one from a coat hanger. Sorry, no pic.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:01 PM
Boeing 717

Thanks for the response Michael.

If I already have the engine at top dead center and If put the cams in the same way they came out wouldn't that ensure that nothing would hit?

Also, I can't really turn the crank to get the engine at 45 dbtc because the pistons will be going up and down and the valves won't be moving. Wouldn't that pretty much guarantee that the valves are going to hit the pistons?
Old 06-04-2019, 06:08 PM
ste1999
Instructor

Originally Posted by michaelmount123
1. The reason to have the engine at (anywhere around) 45 deg. BTDC is so the pistons are down in the bore. You want them down so there's no chance of any valves hitting the piston when installing the cams prior to finalizing your cam timing. Install the cams in the position shown in the factory manual, then slowly turn the crank (and pistons) up to TDC without the belt attached to the cam. Once there, attach the belt and follow the factory procedure.
2. There's no need to coat both surfaces with 574. Just do the cam cap(s).
3. It's a little easier to install the seal and black cap before your caps are torqued. Just make sure they are all the way in place before you torque. No need for any tool if done this way.
4. It's Porsche tool 9530, and yes, you can make one from a coat hanger. Sorry, no pic.
Hope you don’t mind an additional question 😀. If the cams are first installed and the engine later turned to TDC, that inevitably involves going a touch past TDC if using a dial gauge to detect TDC. Is it ok to then turn the engine backwards and position again at exact TDC if using the dial gauge method?

Steve
Old 06-05-2019, 02:05 AM
michaelmount123
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

Hope you don’t mind an additional question 😀. If the cams are first installed and the engine later turned to TDC, that inevitably involves going a touch past TDC if using a dial gauge to detect TDC. Is it ok to then turn the engine backwards and position again at exact TDC if using the dial gauge method?

Steve
Yes, fine to go a little past to find TDC. Just be sure to turn slowly and if there's any resistance (valve against piston), stop!

Quick Reply: Checking cam timing