Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Tips for installing the most aggravating bolt on the entire car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 01:33 AM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Tips for installing the most aggravating bolt on the entire car?

Does anybody have any tips, magic tools, etc., for installing the M6 bolt that attaches the dip stick’s bracket to the intake manifold? There’s only a 1-1/4” space between the location of the thread on the manifold and the brake booster, which doesn’t leave enough room for a socket, plus the hard brake line going into the master cylinder is in the way as well. I’ve been fighting with this thing for over an hour, and have dropped the stupid bolt at least five times already. There has to be a way to get this thing on. Any suggestions, preferably ones that have been actually used and proven to work? Thanks.

Old 03-11-2019, 03:21 AM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 108 Posts

Ha, I gave up on that bolt a couple years ago.
For street use a zip tie works to secure the tube but you'll need to hold it down with a finger when pulling the dip stick. This probably won't get you through scrutineering thou.
I've had success installing that bolt a few times. Want to say I used a "spring claw retriever" or "magnet on a stick" to hold the threaded section of the bolt in place while turning the bolt head with my other hand... it's been a while and don't quite recall.
Good luck.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:00 AM
Boeing 717

Received 264 Likes on 159 Posts

Hmmmm I just did that recently after putting the intake back on and don't recall any difficulty with it.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:56 AM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

ball end extended Allen wrenches. they work well on the hall sensor also.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:44 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I somehow get it done but I know another trick that some have used, they cut open the bottom section of the mounting piece. This way you can pre-install the bolt (leaving some room) and then slide the dipstick on. Finally, tighten the left over threads in the bolt.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:46 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by thomasmryan
ball end extended Allen wrenches. they work well on the hall sensor also.
Thanks; I tried that, and didn't have much luck, but maybe the problem was that Lowes doesn't have any M6 allen head bolts shorter than 1", which doesn't give me enough room to maneuver the wrench. Finding a shorter bolt would help; maybe Home Depot, or an auto parts store, has one. I was too impatient last time to go searching for a shorter bolt, but I'll take the time this time.

Boeing717:

All I can say is, ???!!!!! Or maybe, The reason I need to reattach the dip stick is that I had to reinstall my homemade steering angle sensor, after the string going from the steering shaft to the pulley fell off yet again. This is at least the fifth time I've had to R & R the intake manifold in the process of building that wretched thing (because I was too cheap to pay the $250 for a SAS from Aim), to the point where I can do almost do the job blindfolded. Hopefully I've finally found a robust solution to keeping the string intact. But this stupid bolt kicks my butt each time - it takes me as long to attach it as the whole rest of the job put together, and it hasn't gotten any easier or faster with each R & R.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:48 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RajDatta
I somehow get it done but I know another trick that some have used, they cut open the bottom section of the mounting piece. This way you can pre-install the bolt (leaving some room) and then slide the dipstick on. Finally, tighten the left over threads in the bolt.
That's a clever idea I hadn't thought of - thanks.

Quick Reply: Tips for installing the most aggravating bolt on the entire car?