speed pulse generator for sat/nav

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 12:17 PM
jp951
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default speed pulse generator for sat/nav

Hello all,

Does anyone know where to get a speed pulse signal for a sat/nav?? I've asked a lot of people even porsche mechanics and I get conflicting answers. I've been told either to get it from the abs ecu, or from the gearbox reverse light which apparently also measures speed?? help!!

thanks,
manuel scettri
Old 02-03-2004, 11:18 PM
Tom Carson
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like the speed pulse goes all over the place, from the hall transmitter to cruise control control unit, alarm unit, a cab's power top relay, ABS computer (which is linked to the Air Bag's control unit) and even to the speedometer!

the instrument panal has 3 white connectors 'A', 'B' & 'C' (on the back)

the one vertical connector in the middle behind the speedometer is connector 'B' and pin 14 has a black/red wire and is where you should get a pulse.

if the wiring for relay G21 (power top) is there, check the socket's pin 'A' because according to the book it is there as well

I thought the 968 speed pulse actually comes from a ABS wheel sensor's hall transmitter...not sure which one...don't know about the reverse light theory ! ! ...who told you that?

and when the speed pulse is hooked in, won't you have to calibrate the sat/nav somehow?
Old 02-03-2004, 11:23 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

The speed on the 968 is read by the ABS sensor which is mounted to the front hub/spindle. It measures the teeth on the hub as it goes around. Not sure how you would make it work for sat/nav.
Earlier 944 series cars had their speed sensor on the transmission.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:26 PM
Tom Carson
Burning Brakes

also look at:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=110473

dunno if that may help....pulses per mile anyone??
Old 02-05-2004, 04:41 PM
Tom Carson
Burning Brakes

jp...glad your problem was solved.

We lived in the UK a couple of years ago where my wife bought a '02 Rav 4 in Twickenham. She said the Sat Nav was the best option she ever purchased...bought and used the Germany and France CD's as well. Gotta have them when you drive in unfamiliar places. Especially if you don't speak the language…takes all the stress out of traveling.

Now she got the RAV in So. Africa and has been waiting for Toyota to come up with CD’s for that country for over 6 months. Toyota says they want her to be part of their 'beta test', whenever that happens
Old 02-05-2004, 06:51 PM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got the NAVMAN which is a portable GPS...

Is this what you all are refering to?

Mine is piggy-backed to my PDA.

Reads out, among other things, speed in MPH, TTG(time to go, that is remaining time to destination) ETA, and DTG(distance to go)

Nice little portable unit.

If this isn't what you all are talking about...sorry to have wasted the bandwidth.

Jason

Quick Reply: speed pulse generator for sat/nav