968 Forum 1992-1995

Anyone here own a 968CS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 03:05 PM
jp951
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default hhmmmm

That sounds interesting...although, is for show only "for show only"??
I would like to drive this thing

I guess I'll have to keep asking around...thanks jeff!

manuel scettri
Old 02-05-2004, 03:40 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Does it have to have both a driver and a passenger airbag? If only a driver's side is required, would they test it to see if it works?
Old 02-05-2004, 04:12 PM
Phil Harrison
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by tifosiman
If only a driver's side is required, would they test it to see if it works?
That would be very interesting...
Old 02-06-2004, 06:12 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

WAIT JUST A SECOND.... '93???? NO WAY! I've got a friend who used to be a BIGTIME VW VR6 nut- he's owned several Corrados- these were only avaible (VR6) from 92 - 94- in Canada & other places, I think it was 95. Anyway, there were a lot of little changes b/t 92 & 93- the entire interior being the biggest- late '93's went distributorless & they stayed that way- by chance, my friend owned all distributorless- two 93's & one 94. They did NOT have air bags- I remember this for a FACT- in '95, he bought a Jetta, & one of his biggest gripes was that the Jetta DID have them- he went to a Momo wheel, just asa he did w/ALL of his corrados, just as I have done w/my Turbo S (& MANY other Porsche owners have)- do you have kids? IF none of this argument worked, you might be able to get by w/the bomb-powered AB's being too much & you're concerned for their well-being, argument- you'd have to be able to reduce them- people use their kids to win stuff like this all the time- too bad safety engineers aren't concerned enough about the safety of adults, as well.... Its ALL about $$$.... But serioulsy, I'd be pretty pissed to learn that air bags were the only thing keeping you from bringing a 968CS to this country, ESPECIALLY when AB's weren't even the law then either- actually, I THINK it was '98 or so by the time it was REALLY the LAW, although most automakers had them by then anyway.... I remember reading an article on a 96 or 97 (which was the first year?) A4 & how air bags were optional- never really checked, but....

Yeah- it would be funny to just stick a regular AB wheel on & maybe mount some sensors up front, just in case they looked- if they tested them I wonder who would be the ones to have to pay to clean everything up & repack them, etc if they DID work? Hopefully it would be one of THEIR faces in front of it when it went off at least...
Old 02-10-2004, 12:03 PM
jp951
Advanced

Default the more I think about it...

...the less that airbag statement makes sense! I just remembered the 959s that are being imported and those don't have airbags! I'll have to call some other import place. I sent an email to that guy that has a CS already in the states and is trying to federalize it but I haven't gotten an answer yet. Does anyone know who I'm talking about?

manuel scettri
Old 02-10-2004, 12:30 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't, but someone here might have mentioned him in my other 968CS thread on the regular 944 forum- I THINK this link should get you there, but, it's got 3pages & I don't really have to time to look through all the post right now- good luck... if it doesn't, reply again & let me know...

968CS questions... ( 1 2 3 )

DAMMIT! how do you link a thread? I've tried several times now, every way I can think of... anyway, that is the title & it's in the main 944 forum...

BTW- you asked, earlier in this thread about how much the hoods weigh, IIRC- I didn;t mean to ignore that- I just missed it the first time around & then forgot- I've seen people list multiple weights, & this is for the 951 hood, but, they range anywhere from ~41 - 47lbs- a guy just weighed his for me the other day & got 45lbs on his bathroom scale, so I'd say that's pretty much right on- the 968 hood should be a little lighter though, as it's smaller, but, the fenders roll up on the hood more & weigh probably weigh MORE than the 951 fenders, so they kind of balance it out.... I've seen a few lightweight options from carbon fibre & fiberglass- the one I like most is one I saw recently, on a fellow RL's car, by AIR- he said it was 17lbs IIRC- it was fiberglass & fit VERY well- something that many of the others have a problem with- it was ~$300, but would have to be painted of course- not too bad to save ~28lbs- the only other prob is what to do for hood shocks- the stock ones are WAY too strong & you can't use just one as it would twist the hood in way too much- weaker ones could be bought OR a hood rod could be used. ONe other prob, IF you care, is that it doesn't have holes for window washers- I'm removing my resovoir & hoses, etc, anyway, as I never use it & that just removes that much more weight...
Old 02-10-2004, 05:32 PM
Alex Cook
Instructor

Default Re: the more I think about it...

Originally posted by jp951
...the less that airbag statement makes sense! I just remembered the 959s that are being imported and those don't have airbags! I'll have to call some other import place. I sent an email to that guy that has a CS already in the states and is trying to federalize it but I haven't gotten an answer yet. Does anyone know who I'm talking about?

manuel scettri
I would assume the car has to meet the relevant regulations in force for the year that it was built. I don't think airbags were mandatory over there at the time (87/88) the 959 was built.
Old 02-10-2004, 05:40 PM
jp951
Advanced

Default true...

..but then there are cars like mclarens and jag xj220s running around in the us and those were definitively built after the damn airbag mess. I'm just gonna keep looking into it. Worst comes to worst I'll try to bring my RS2, that has airbags at least! I wonder what the deal is with cars that are just like a model that was imported into the us but has a different engine...

manuel scettri
Old 02-10-2004, 07:44 PM
Phil Harrison
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Re: the more I think about it...

Originally posted by jp951
[BI sent an email to that guy that has a CS already in the states and is trying to federalize it but I haven't gotten an answer yet. Does anyone know who I'm talking about?

manuel scettri [/B]
I assume that you mean Joska?
Old 02-10-2004, 08:25 PM
jp951
Advanced

Default yup

Thats the guy. I had forgotten what his name is. I really think I'm gonna drop it though. At the current exchange rate I can get almost $19000 for the car here, and it seems like it will be very expensive to bring it in.

manuel scettri
Old 02-11-2004, 01:35 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Re: Re: the more I think about it...

Originally posted by Alex Cook
I would assume the car has to meet the relevant regulations in force for the year that it was built. I don't think airbags were mandatory over there at the time (87/88) the 959 was built.
Oh, I KNOW they were not mandatory at THAT time- they were not mandatory until AT LEAST '95 b/c the VR6 Corrados (even '94's) NEVER had them- I'm 100% certain of this... Now the 95 Corrados in Canada & other parts of the world...I'm not sure... but the late 80's were WAY before the AB BS...
Old 02-11-2004, 08:08 AM
jp951
Advanced

Default thing is...

The problem isn't wether they were mandatory for that year or not, the problem is that if a certain car had them that year then the car that you bring in has to have them. The 95 968s had airbags so my 95 968 has to have airbags...which it doesn't since its a CS and in europe at the time they weren't so adamant about the whole airbag thing. Hell, they still aren't! One of the things they had to do on the lotus elise to bring it in to the us was put airbags on the thing and thats a brand new car! I really wish the whole airbag thing was optional...

manuel scettri
Old 02-11-2004, 12:15 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh, I get it- I see exactly what you're saying- that's pretty damn stupid too- I hate the whole air bag thing & COMPLETELY agree w/you- hey, if someone WANTS them, that's great- be my guest- as for me, you can keep them the hell off MY car I just resent HAVING to buy something that I DON'T want...
Old 02-11-2004, 12:54 PM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is there anything to prevent fitting airbags to get the car licensed and then removeing them after the car is accepted? I am always hearing about 968 owners fitiing CS steering wheels and how many people are not replacing airbags after an accident? There must be a lot of cars driving around without aribags that came with them originally.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:37 PM
jp951
Advanced

Default yeah

Robby- I agree with you hundred percent! I hate those thing and I really don't see the need for them. Side curtain type airbags fine, but front airbags are pointless! There just there for the stupid people that don't wear a seatbelt. And how about four point harnesses??? Those are illegal on the street! Yeah they're really safety concious...what a bunch of hypocrites. Try telling the people at the DOT that a car with four point harness and a roll bar/cage is safer than one with a stupid airbag on the steering wheel...

Bruce- It is much more complicated than that. I also removed my airbag wheel when I had my 951 in the states (and the cats...sshhh). But to put one on is much much more involved. First are all the sensors needed to make the thing work. Then the pssenger airbag ahs to go on there too and the dash is not designed for it (no opening for it and no "tearaway" section in gront of the opening) then the wiring has to be factory which means tearing out all the old wiring and installing a new one $$$$!!

manuel scettri

Quick Reply: Anyone here own a 968CS?