968 Forum 1992-1995

My Midnight Blue has arrived - Finally

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 03:29 AM
StormTrooper
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts
Default The First True '94 in Midnight Blue

I can update later with the full story, been waiting 12 years for this car.

I'll drop a couple pics here, Jeff, here is the option sticker and the door decal...

Last edited by StormTrooper; 07-31-2018 at 06:33 PM. Reason: updated info
Old 06-16-2018, 08:46 AM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Congrats!!!
Old 06-16-2018, 09:22 AM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

beautiful. nice build sheet.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:04 PM
pete968/928
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats! LSD!!
Old 06-16-2018, 01:50 PM
spark1
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Beautiful. 12 years!! Can't wait to hear the story. Congrats.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:09 PM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

We'll be driving thru LV on the 28th on our way to the West Coast Gathering in Sonora CA. Why don't you come along with us? Would love to see your new car!
Old 06-16-2018, 04:11 PM
StormTrooper
Intermediate

Originally Posted by az968gpw
We'll be driving thru LV on the 28th on our way to the West Coast Gathering in Sonora CA. Why don't you come along with us? Would love to see your new car!
​​​​​​​Thanks guys, it's as good as I remember it. First owner had it for 11 years and then my buddy owned it for the last ~12 until he passed. 50,800 miles on it.

​​​​​​​I had been watching the info on the West Coast gathering and would have loved to jumped on board but on the 27th I'll be heading to Germany & Austria for 2 weeks. I have to get reacquainted with all the Porsche groups again, its been a handful of years since I sold my last one.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:16 PM
Eyeman
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

You better not park beside my car, you will not know which one is yours. Mine does have way more miles, 4 thousand more actually.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:31 PM
boisenelson
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 131 Posts

Beautiful car! I am partial to the color....my 986 is Lapis Blue, 996 is the same as yours, Midnight Blue Metallic, and my 997.2 is Dark Blue Metallic. I commend you for your color choice
Old 06-17-2018, 11:25 AM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 136 Posts

Yes we need to hear the 12 year saga.

Nice car, nice color.

-Yogii
AKA 968 Virgin
Old 06-18-2018, 03:49 PM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

Sorry we'll miss seeing you. But maybe another time. LV isn't that far from Prescott.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:05 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 118 Posts

Very nice! And thanks for the info.

And did you see your car has an interesting significance to it? See if you can spot it on this 968 registry page:
Old 06-20-2018, 01:22 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Wow, first of the true ‘94s made?
Old 06-20-2018, 10:49 AM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Spokayman
Wow, first of the true ‘94s made?
You are correct sir.

The first North American 968 coupe to be equipped with the 993-style seats!
Old 06-23-2018, 02:12 PM
StormTrooper
Intermediate

Hey guys, thanks for the kind words and continuing info.
There's something about blue on a Porsche that just gets me going, Ferrari as well I guess, but there isn't one of those in my near future.

When you register a car from out of state Nevada requires a VIN inspection, the inspector found another anomaly last weekend when I was there.
If you look at the VIN label on the door (black decal) the VIN starts with WPO whereas the metal tag and the other locations on the car say WP0.
It was proper (zero) on the title as well so the inspector just kinda shrugged it off and sent me on my way without issue.

Heres the story I shared on my Facebook page about my purchase:

I found this car for sale in about a dozen years ago. I was knee deep in UrQuattro stuff so I had no way to buy it. It was back home in Illinois so I showed it to Peter, my longest car friend and outright best friend. Guess who bought it...
So years go by and I never lose my affection for this thing, every once in a while I'd mention shipping to Nevada where it can live a happy life instead of tucked away in a garage. In the 12 years Peter owned the car he took great care of it and it got whatever it needed - all while putting merely 5000 miles on it in that timeframe. Every once in a while he'd tease me with the thought of selling. It's been a year and a half since Peter passed due to injuries from an ATV accident on Christmas day 2016. Peter's wife knew the kind of banter and joking we'd do about this car since she was never far from him on speaker phone or bluetooth in the car. There's never a time when that conversation won't be awkward, but we talked and she agreed that the car belonged with me. Months go by as probate, and estate, and trust tasks fall into place... We stay in touch to make sure she's hanging in there, now a single mom of twin girls with two older brothers.

Fast forward a few months. Now I've gotten into the hangar down in Sandy Valley, getting to know the area after several trips out there I've seen there are lots of places to go off roading and exploring.

So 5-6 weeks ago Im at work BS'ing with my boss who has a couple ATV's. We get to talking about how great it would be to have an ATV down in Sandy Valley. We start looking at them online, he show's me the models he has, I point out the one that is currently my favorite. Even played a couple short YouTube videos of their reviews.

Mid point in that conversation my phone dings. Pick up the phone, text from Peter's wife. It had been a couple months since we'd talked / texted. Completely random she's ready to sell the 968.
A chill went down my spine, as if Peter was looking down and was not about to let me get an ATV. I was never one to be very religious, but I do believe there is something bigger than all of us.
So it was time for me to buy a (my) 968.

I have put about 50 miles on it with some fresh gas and whatnot. Everything seems fine until the belts start squealing, they squealed initially but stopped as I drove. I figured this was on par with a car that had ben sitting and the battery was a bit weak (new but not fully charged). Of course I go into shopping mode and have all the bits and pieces picked out, new belts, upgraded tensioner turnbuckles, trim pieces... I spend alot of time sitting in hotels while traveling for work. I scrapped that because i couldn't get anything to deliver in the narrow window in between trips - this time my upcoming vacation. I find the belt dimensions and figured I'd just stop locally and pick up some belts. One car on the lift, one car under it, and I didn't feel like emptying the shop so I pulled it up on the ramps and pulled the pan.

Can anyone tell me why the belts would have been squealing? I'm having a hard time figuring this one out.

This was both frustrating and a relief. I know Peter always used some pretty reputable mechanics, in the Barrington and Highland Park areas of Northern Illinois - not to mention names... It's frustrating because most people will scoff when someone works on their own car when it comes to posting an ad or listing in an auction. Not that this car is going to be for sale any time soon - but this is EXACTLY why I work on my own cars. Anyone know what goes in that hole on the bottom of the bracket?

Quick Reply: My Midnight Blue has arrived - Finally