968 Forum 1992-1995

Where to buy half shafts

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 01:42 PM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Where to buy half shafts

When doing my T Belts I found out that my passenger side half shaft has a cracked boot. I did some searching and found lot of info on where to get them for 944s and Sunset has them for about $250 but does anyone know where I can get good rebuilt half shafts? Or should I go with new, or with rebooting mine and packing with grease? I have only driven the 968 for 4k miles but I do not have any idea how long it has been cracked.
Old 01-06-2004, 01:52 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I would say get new boots. No point in throwing money away. What you are talking about is cv shaft, half shaft would be the shaft that goes inside the transaxle.
Old 01-06-2004, 02:09 PM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Raj, Thanks for the correction in terminology. Is this something I can do at home on jack stands or something I should go to a shop for? Should I have new boots put on both while I am at it? I know not to get the two sides confused since they are different lengths.
Old 01-06-2004, 02:22 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Bruce, its something that is quite simple. You will need triplesquare sockets to remove the cv shafts. I can't see how one can fit in place of the other, so you should be ok about mixing them up.
Change both and you will have peace of mind. Sometimes you can find a local shop that will rebuild cv shafts, take your old one, new cv boots and grease, and new clamps and it should not be more than 2 hrs for them to install them for you and you wont get your hands greasy.
Use the hand brake to hold the wheels in place when removing the bolts.
Good luck. You have my number if you need help.
Old 01-08-2004, 03:06 PM
jim944s2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remember to re-torque the bolts after some use. I've heard several horror stories!

Quick Reply: Where to buy half shafts