968 Forum 1992-1995

Attention 968TurboS : Crosspost: Timing and Balance belt photos

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 12:40 AM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Attention 968TurboS : Crosspost: Timing and Balance belt photos

Raj, I know you had a timing belt tensioner fail. Mine could be on the way out. I would appreciate it if you could have a look at the photos and let me know your opinion.

Heres the blurb

I took off the timing belt cover to inspect the belts today. Personally I think they look like recent belts, but Im hoping for the safety of my valves and for future reference that you guys will comment on the condition of the belts.

And here come the questions

1. The balance belt has blue writing on it, did factory balance belts have this writing on it or could this be a sign that it has been replaced?

2. Both the timing belt and balance belt can be easily moved with slight pressure from a finger, the timing belt is tighter than the balance belt. Does this sound right?

3. I think the balance belt has been rubbing on the top of the timing belt tensioner lever. You can see a smooth area in the top picture and it is very clean under there. This makes me think the balance belt is probably too loose.

4. Second I cleaned the oil and dust off of the tensioner. A single paper towel cleaned up the casing and the rod did not have enough on it to blacken a whole end of a qtip. This area did not seem to have any more dust than the inside of the cover did. Still the darker spots that look like oil concern me. Does the rod look like it is out far enough, does anyone know how far it should be out? I tried pressing it in with my thumb and did not move it. Also I could push the lever out a little and the rod would not move out. So either it is at its full extension or it is not functioning.

The photos are over at 968.net
http://65.61.16.109/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6860

I would really appreciate any advice you can offer.

Thanks
Old 12-22-2003, 01:06 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Hey Bruce, I just posted on your thread on the 944 main forum...

Regards,
Old 12-22-2003, 03:07 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Bruce, fortunately I did not have a belt tensioner failure.
I too would be concerned with excessive oil in the area. It was the same symptom I saw in this other car. What I noticed was that the tensioner was binding when pressed through a vise. You want to test the tensioner to make sure its not binding and has proper tensioning ability.
From the looks of it, your belt have been changed or else the blue lettering would not be as visible and would have worn out.
I suggest taking the tensioner out, putting it on a Vise and compressing it little by little. Once the holes are aligned, stick a needle/nail through it. Pull the needle out and see if the tensioner pops out. If it does, you are ok. If it doesn't, it is binding. I don't believe in reusing parts in question but the final decision is yours. I would suggest swapping it if there is any binding and also changing belts for peace of mind.
Do you have access to P9201 to retension balance shaft belt? See if you can rent the tools out from somewhere. Also, if you need a tensioner for testing purposes, I have one lying around that I can ship you. It works fine so you have something to reference to. They are pretty pricey so hopefully you don't need one.
Send me a direct PM and I can share with you a trick to eliminate the hydraulic tensioner in case your tensioner is shot.
Regards.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:56 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Hey Raj, whats your trick? I am not interested in doing it on my '92 as I am trying to keep it as original as possible, but would like to have it available in my bag of tricks.

Regards,
Old 12-23-2003, 09:50 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Scott, you have a PM.

Quick Reply: Attention 968TurboS : Crosspost: Timing and Balance belt photos