Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Shock replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 02:22 PM
spark1
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

The Koni Sport mod is almost as much (effort) as the bilstein mod. Check out this video for Bilstein mod:

Then look at this link for Koni Sport mod:

http://web.archive.org/web/20041118105638/www.tech-session.com/kb/index.php?page=index_v2&id=69&c=4

Previous discussion on this topic:

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...lp-needed.html
Old 02-11-2018, 03:52 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

The second link for the Koni Sport mod doesn't work. I have watched that German guy 100 times for many DIY fixes which is how I decided against doing the fronts. I only ordered the rear Bilsteins thinking I could get a set of fronts already built but cannot find them. Not sure if I go back to the OEM setup or try to make something else work. Or go to the M030 option and pay up for that. Either way I thought this was going to be a relatively inexpensive task which is proving, again, not to be the case.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:29 PM
spark1
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Another way to get to the Koni mod is click here and select the Koni strut conversion on the right side of the page
Old 02-12-2018, 08:48 AM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwtmx
Anyone mix front Koni Sport inserts in the front with Bilsteins in the rear? I'd rather not send it all back but will if this is a mistake.
Set up properly this shouldn't be a problem. Common too. A friend in one of the UK Porsche Speed championships mentioned that one of his previous competitiors has Richard Attwood's 944 that he tracks. The car came with adjustable Konis on the front and Bilsteins on the rear.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:59 AM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

The Koni conversion does not seem that difficult. Just drilling the holes and cutting the end off so I think I can get that done. I may send the Bilsteins back and just go Koni all the way. One mechanic that is very good here said the Koni's have a high failure rate which is why I was a little reluctant to go that route. But the Bilstein job is just too much and for regular street driving I am sure the Koni's are good enough.

One last question. My fronts have lowering springs and wanted to see if that would pose an issue.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:03 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwtmx
The Koni conversion does not seem that difficult. Just drilling the holes and cutting the end off so I think I can get that done. I may send the Bilsteins back and just go Koni all the way. One mechanic that is very good here said the Koni's have a high failure rate which is why I was a little reluctant to go that route. But the Bilstein job is just too much and for regular street driving I am sure the Koni's are good enough.

One last question. My fronts have lowering springs and wanted to see if that would pose an issue.
No, you will be fine, the konis are ok with lowered cars. I've got them with the paragon coilover conversion which is likely lower than your springs. They've been in for 7 years and are still going strong.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:58 PM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

I did the Koni front mod and it was easy. Hardest part was re-measuring four or five times before I was comfortable making the cut on ther first one. Second one was easy. Second hardest part was putting on 3 coats of yellow paint!

Quick Reply: Shock replacement question