Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   968 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/968-forum-71/)
-   -   Shock replacement question (https://rennlist.com/forums/968-forum/1042957-shock-replacement-question.html)

bmwtmx 01-12-2018 03:15 PM

Shock replacement question

I was going through the Sonnen site for new shocks and they list Koni shocks and Fichtel & Sachs as options. The Koni's are much more expensive for the fronts but the same price in the rear. Is there much of a difference between the 2 to justify the jump to Koni's? My car will not be tracked.

Jay Wellwood 01-12-2018 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by bmwtmx (Post 14726970)
I was going through the Sonnen site for new shocks and they list Koni shocks and Fichtel & Sachs as options. The Koni's are much more expensive for the fronts but the same price in the rear. Is there much of a difference between the 2 to justify the jump to Koni's? My car will not be tracked.

Famous last words... ;)

spark1 01-12-2018 10:44 PM

Which Koni's are you talking about for the front? I know at least one of the Koni versions (sport) requires modifcation of components to fit.

While I am an amateur as to shocks on 968's I have had many cars that I have had Koni's on (including my 968). For the most part they are a little harsh on ride but great for cornering/handling. I have no experience with Fichtel & Sachs.

My preference for shocks includes both Bilstein and Koni. Certain Bilstein versions offer more adjustment settings but get expensive...Not sure what is available for 968 in Bilstein's.

bmwtmx 01-13-2018 12:04 PM

This is the left side Koni shock number from Sonnen. It doesn't say if it is the sport version: 944-343-032-28
This is the Fichtel & Sachs number: 951-343-032-12

The Koni's are $532 per shock while the Fichtel & Sachs are $226. Literally half the price.

I really am not tracking this car. I raced for about 7 years and was tracking cars before and after but I am just not that into it any longer. I think competition ruined my track-day experience but I track my Viper once in a while. This car is for pure fun on the street.

spark1 01-14-2018 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by bmwtmx (Post 14728503)
This is the left side Koni shock number from Sonnen. It doesn't say if it is the sport version: 944-343-032-28
This is the Fichtel & Sachs number: 951-343-032-12

The Koni's are $532 per shock while the Fichtel & Sachs are $226. Literally half the price.

I really am not tracking this car. I raced for about 7 years and was tracking cars before and after but I am just not that into it any longer. I think competition ruined my track-day experience but I track my Viper once in a while. This car is for pure fun on the street.

The part number 944-343-032-28 is the right side (left side is 944-343-031-28). OEM Koni sport shocks that were on M030 optioned 968's and require modification into a non M030 968 to install.

Fichtel & Sachs part 951-343-032-12 is the right side OEM stock 968 shock.

I believe there are other Koni options that will fit without modification (confirm before purchasing) and are much less costly:
https://thmotorsports.com/i-103631.a...waAqF_EALw_wcB

bmwtmx 01-14-2018 04:35 PM

That makes sense and is great news. I need a few other repairs done and the tab is adding up!

LM964 01-15-2018 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by spark1 (Post 14730504)
I believe there are other Koni options that will fit without modification (confirm before purchasing) and are much less costly:
https://thmotorsports.com/i-103631.a...waAqF_EALw_wcB

Ditto. I recently had full Koni Sport M030 adjustable shocks fitted all-round with complete re-geo - transformed the car completely. Front adjustables I think I paid @ £150 each.

thomasmryan 01-15-2018 07:58 AM

I tried Konis on the rear for about a1000 miles and went back to Sachs. A compromise due to the less than stellar pavement on the fun roads

az968gpw 01-15-2018 09:24 AM

I put Koni Sport adjustables on my 968 last year and have been very pleased with them vs the stock. You do have to modify the fronts as the Koni's are inserts. But there is very good documentation and videos on how to do that. Basically have to drill a hole in the top of the OEM housing to insert the top of the Koni. Not a hard job,couple of hours if you take time to paint the old struts yellow to match the Konis.. I set the fronts at full soft and the rears at 2 clicks, could work with 1 click too - I don't track the car but there are some aggressive mountain roads near me.. There is an easy procedure to drop the front suspension so you don't have to use spring compressors. I paid about $700 for all four, I believe from Paragon.

bmwtmx 01-15-2018 10:31 AM

Just a quick question on the Koni's. The rear's say the original bushings may need replacement and there may not be enough clearance between the hood and strut pin. Not sure why it says this if this for the rears but did anyone have this problem? I used Koni inserts in my E36 M3 way back when that was my track car and was not a big deal to do. Just want to make sure there are no problems here.

az968gpw 01-15-2018 10:47 AM

I did get my Koni's from Paragon.
Fronts were part no 8641-1414Sport
Rears were part no 8040-1035Sport

No problem on the rear installs, everything fit just fine. Easy-peasy, except bolts were really tight after all those years, plus good tourque on them.. Fronts had to modify the Shock housing for the inserts.

also buy new bump rubber for the fronts and boot/dust cover. Don't reuse the old rubber.

thomasmryan 01-15-2018 06:39 PM

there is an oem cap that will fit the protruding adjuster on the front. not an issue.

the lower bolt is best tightened on the rear shock with the tires laden. ramps work. 96 ft #s

new spring plate bushings are a bit easier on a 968 as the cast carrier will twist out of the way.. chuck at elephant has a few variations.

jsheiry 01-16-2018 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by az968gpw (Post 14731674)
I put Koni Sport adjustables on my 968 last year and have been very pleased with them vs the stock. You do have to modify the fronts as the Koni's are inserts. But there is very good documentation and videos on how to do that. Basically have to drill a hole in the top of the OEM housing to insert the top of the Koni. Not a hard job,couple of hours if you take time to paint the old struts yellow to match the Konis.. I set the fronts at full soft and the rears at 2 clicks, could work with 1 click too - I don't track the car but there are some aggressive mountain roads near me.. There is an easy procedure to drop the front suspension so you don't have to use spring compressors. I paid about $700 for all four, I believe from Paragon.

Im getting ready to do this on my wifes DD. The car has about 150,000 miles and feels really bumpy. After talking to Jason at Paragon about this for a while he indicates that the Koni Sports can actually be adjusted to be softer than the factory Sachs if thats what you want and that the range of adjustment starts a little softer than the Sachs but can get firmer for track use. I bought these and will do the upgrade soon, I will do the same as AZ968gpw and put the fronts at the softest settings both front and back. The job looks easy enough and just waiting till Im ready to do a complete alignment and all.

LM964 01-16-2018 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by az968gpw (Post 14731808)
I did get my Koni's from Paragon.
Fronts were part no 8641-1414Sport
Rears were part no 8040-1035Sport

No problem on the rear installs, everything fit just fine. Easy-peasy, except bolts were really tight after all those years, plus good tourque on them.. Fronts had to modify the Shock housing for the inserts.

also buy new bump rubber for the fronts and boot/dust cover. Don't reuse the old rubber.

Same. No problem with fitting. New Superpro bushings added while adjusting the M030 roll-bars too. Fronts set up to full hard then back 360o for twisty road spirited driving. Front adjusting knob in the glove box. Rears before installing were backed off 70o from full hard/track.

bmwtmx 02-11-2018 01:00 PM

I decided to go Bilstein on my car but I think I may have made a mistake. The rears are no issue at all but the front inserts do not get installed like the Koni's. They need a lot more work and I definitely am not doing that. Anyone mix front Koni Sport inserts in the front with Bilsteins in the rear? I'd rather not send it all back but will if this is a mistake.