Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Where to pick up the rpm signal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 09:13 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Where to pick up the rpm signal?

I'm in the home stretch of installing an Aim data acquisition system (EVO4S/GS Dash/SmartyCam HD, with analog sensors for throttle position, brake pressure, and steering angle) in my track-focused 92 968. The last major step is tapping into a source for the rpm signal that I need to connect to the patch cable for the EVO4S unit. The rpm signal can be obtained from the DME, either by tapping into the appropriate wire from the DME connector, or at the tach. The other option is from the coil, which sounds like the less desirable option, so I would prefer to get the signal from the DME.

According to the description of the DME pins in the manual, I need the wire coming from Pin 6. However, I can't find a wiring diagram for the DME in the manual, so I have no idea which of the 48 wires coming from the DME is the one going to Pin 6. As far as tapping into the wire at the tach, that is an option, but I remember that removing the instrument cluster on this car is a fairly delicate and difficult operation, and not without risk of breaking something on the way in or out, plus I won't know for certain which wire I need to tap into. So, I'm kind of stuck, and was wondering if anyone here has ever done this before, or if anyone has a copy of the wiring diagram for the DME. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Where to pick up the rpm signal?